1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ A22 w/ DAVE or AV Receiver for HT?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by sunggipark, Nov 12, 2004.

1. sunggipark

sunggipark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently aquired an Arcam FMJ A22 with DAVE and need to decide whether I should get a 3 channel amp or moderately priced AV reciever (Marantz 4400 or 5400 or equivalent) to pair with the Arcam in order to get 5.1 Home Theater.

I'm thinking the dedicated AV reciever will be less expensive and have more updated options for HT. And for HT, it seems there isn't much difference in sound quality - and Arcam's strong point has never been HT.

Any thoughts?

Also, could someone post a step by step instruction on how to connect and setup the FMJ A22 to an AV Reciever, especially on how to determine the gain (do you need to use an SPL meter?).

Thanks in advance.

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi

The A22/DAVE system is not really ideal for connecting to a Receiver as it already provides the Dolby Digital and DTS processing. The ideal partner would be a FMJ P25/3 which has three channels of amplification. If you can not find one of these then an Alpha 10P/3, FMJ P35/3 or DIVA P90/3 would work.

Because the DAVE module is fitted the processor mode of the A22 is not available to it is not possible to put it onto a fixed gain mode for working with a Receiver.

I have an Alpha 10/DAVE system (cheaper version of the FMJ) and hit the same situation. I came to the conclusion that if you did not want to use the DD/DTS processing of the DAVE module then the only way was to get it removed or buy a new system (I am going for the latter option.)

Hope this helps

Dave Steele

3. sunggipark

sunggipark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Dave.

Thanks for the info. Just so I am clear, did you remove the DAVE module or did you opt to buy a new system? And is it possible to remove DAVE yourself or do you have to send it back to Arcam?

Thanks.

4. sunggipark

sunggipark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Can anyone verify that this is true.

And if it is true, I have some questions:

- Do people like the FMJ A22 as a HT processor? Seems it might be limited in terms of what it can do in comparison to a moderately priced dedicated HT receiver from Marantz, Denon, or Yamaha without giving up much in sound quality.

- Do you need to get the 3 channel amp from Arcam or can you use another manufacturer's amp? Does this create incompatibility issues? What other manufacturers mate well with Arcam equipment? Can you also use a 5 channel amp?

I'm thinking I'd like to keep the A22 for stereo CD playback but the question is whether I should get the amp or a HT receiver.

Hope someone can hep based on their experiences.

Thanks.

5. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi sunggipark

To answer your questions please see below:

The FMJ A22/DAVE system was good when it was developed which was around four or five years ago which in HT land is a long time. The processing it provides is very basic compared to modern equipment. It is especially weak in the bass management area as there is no variable cross-over and the bass management does not really work in pro-logic mode. I also tend to think the effects processing is not as fast as the modern systems. The D/A converters however are of good quality.

You do not have to use Arcam amps. I have read of other people using Rotel and NAD amps. However there are not that many 3 channel amps available. The main problem with the DAVE system is that there is no 5.1 analogue input to which you could feed a modern DVD player and use the processing in that.

I do not think removing the DAVE module is a home change as I had to send my Alpha 10 back to the factory to have the DAVE module fitted. (When I bought the Alpha 10 the DAVE module was not ready.)

I am buying a DIVA A90 with the 7.1 input board to replace the Alpha 10/DAVE and use the processing the DV27A I have just bought. I am still thinking of what to do with the Alpha 10/DAVE system.

Hope this helps

Regards

Dave Steele

6. sunggipark

sunggipark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0