1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ 29 v. DiVA 79 -- Help?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by DR94941, Aug 30, 2005.

1. DR94941

DR94941

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to choose a combination DVD and CD player -- either the FMJ DV29 or the DiVA DV79. I've scoured the various forums and reviews to attempt to understand the physical differences between the two machines. Dealers give conflicting information about similarities and differences. The better case build and additional power supply of the 29 are obvious. Are there differences in the use of chips? On the Video side? On the Audio side? Are there true differences in the quality of the video or audio?

The Arcam will provide an analogue feed to a wonderful (Canadian) Matrix Audio Series 6 that, with separate 40 watt amps, powers B&W 8" in-wall speakers in four rooms. The same machine will provide a digital feed to two digital only Meridian 5500 D-to-A active speakers. Finally, the video will feed to a (not yet purchased) Sharp LCD screen.

I'll pay more for better video or audio. But, with the price difference, I'd rather give the money to charity than to indistinguishable sight and sound.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

2. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    With a rugged and solid piece of casework and improved power supplies you will find the audio has more control, grip and beat. I don't know about the video as there seems to be a law of diminishing returns for DVD playback and to get a worthwhile noticable improvement seems to take a lot of engineering.

Whether there are any other improvements like tighter toleranced components or better spec'd ones I don't know. I guess Arcam would be the people to ask. In the end it is best to get a dem of both and see if you really think the DV29 is better.

I opted a while ago for a DV89 over the DV27A purely because I could not see my system warranting the extra specification of the DV27A and cost that came with it.
    While it was said to be superior in it's audio in particular CD I didn't really want it for this. More interested in it's DVD playback capabilities. I can say the sound on the DV89 is quite something and betters my Sony DVP-s7700 and just about outclasses it on video too.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Better audio on 29 and better spec (HDMI 1.1)
    Case is better (and power supply etc)
    Video close

All in all 29 is better. A little better in some areas, very close in others. Both are class leading however.

4. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the same problem - the difference in cost is substantial, so I guess it depends how many CDs you listen to over how many DVDs you watch ?

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It all depends on how deep your pockets are, how much time you can devote to the use of the player, quality of equipment that's being used in conjuction with, whether you consider DVD replay quality really is a worthwhile advance (I don't) and whether you are going to use it as an all for one solution (Video,DVD-A and CD).

I breifly considered the DVD27A when I saw it on sale at half price (and nearly bought it) and then came to my senses (I think! :)) and bought an ex-demo 89 which is struggling for it's justification right now since I decided to keep my Sony too ;)

6. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would be putting this through a Meridian 568 processor so i wonder whether I'd benefit from the audio improvement that much ?
    Also I would be moving from a Classe DVD/CD 1 which I've had for 3 years, hooked up via component, but now moving to HDMI on a Pioneer 434 plasma - I imagine the picture quality would be pretty impressive on either machine ?
    Finally I'd have to sell my Arcam DV88 plus ( in another room) to finance this ( partly) !