1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FM Transmitters

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JoeyEmma, Jun 15, 2005.

1. JoeyEmma

JoeyEmma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered myself an IRiver H320 and have been looking at getting an FM Transmitter so I can listen to it via my car stereo.

Have had a look around and there appear to be mixed reviews about them. The Belkin Tunecast 2 seems ok, but opinions do vary.

I can't use an adaptor that goes in the tape deck as I have tried these before with a discman and it sounded awful.

Any advice on what to get?

(I am assuming that anybody who answers lives in an area not covered by the 1949 Wireless Telegraphy Act ;) )

2. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Opinions vary because people have unrealistic expectations these days.

The best quality connection you can get in car is a direct cable connection to the head unit, nothing else comes close. Unfortunately there are not many head units that offer this capability at the moment.

Once you accept that the sound quality generated by a transmitter is not going to be a good then you can rate the device accordingly.

I own a Tunecast 2 and, personally, I think it is very good especially when plugged into the cigarette lighter for power.

Don't expect perfect sound, buy it for the convenience of being able to have your whole music collection in your car (or a friend's car for that matter) and you will not be disappointed.

3. JoeyEmma

JoeyEmma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I thought. I accept that it won't be crystal clear, however just hope it is of a decent quality so that I can enjoy my music and not have to listen to Chris Moyles and Scott Mills being "hilarious" whilst stuck in rush hour traffic!

4. floppydonkey

floppydonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree with KeanosMagicHat, I have a tune cast II, I got it off ebay from a US seller sealed, (about £23) I use it with my HD-5 and the sound is'nt that bad, I think the road noise covers most unwnated sounds. I would also agree that they are better plugged in the lighter socket as they put out more power and the signal seems to a bit stronger. (Plus 2 AAA's every few hours seems to be pointless, you could buy a new line in head unit after a week!)

If you do get a transmitter, dont be tempted to go for one of those cheaper nasty watch battery powered things, they usually have only 3 or 4 preset frequencies and as i have found with the tunecast (which can be set to any freq in 0.1 points) it's hard enough to find a slot on the scale. In birmingham, I have found 88.6 is working at the moment, but now and again I have to mess to stop interference.

All in all, not a bad choice for the price.

5. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
  6. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If i were you i would buy a new Stereo thingy for your car which allows you to directly connect your CD/MP3 Player to it via a 3.5mm jack - i dont think you lose any sound quality - only a loss of 0.01% depending on the cable that you use to link the mp3 player to the head unit.