1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FM stations

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jcan, Nov 6, 2002.

1. jcan

jcan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have analogue cable and as part of the package I have a separate VHF wall socket (!) that I connect to my Denon receiver for a good quality FM signal. I want to "upgrade" the analogue cable service to Sky digital satellite - I don't want to go the digital cable route as the packages available are not tailorable to my needs...Here's my question - does the Sky didgiboz come with an FM/VHF output that I could use to connect to my receiver? (What is the 2nd RF out for remote eye??)

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It might depend on your STB, but at my in-laws, the radio stations are audio out, not RF. That's not insurmountable is it?

3. jcan

jcan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting conflicting Yes / No replies with colleagues who say they have the answer...

Does anyone know what signal is sent via the 2 RF outputs on the Sky DigiBox, as I am losing the plot over this one - is it a combined signal that is made up of all the satellte broadcast and a terestrial signal (if RF in is used, which will be the case with me, hopefully) ?

Thanks for hearing me out on this one! (I'll get there one day)

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's take a step back here...

A Sky Digibox has a number of connections.

The most important is the RGB SCART socket which gives best quality pictures in RGB and stereo sound to your TV.

The stereo sound output from this also has coding for Dolby Pro Logic which is passed to your TV, but not Dolby 5:1 or DTS as yet.

Sky plus has 5:1, but there are not many broadcasts which use it.

In addition, the boxes have phono sockets designed to give the same stereo feed (including Pro Logic) to your HiFi.

The two RF sockets give PAL TV pictures and mono sound, which unless you have no other choice, are not recommended.

So for listening to radio, you want to connect phono leads from the Sky box to your HiFi, and you will have a wealth of radio stations at your disposal.

If you have no HiFi, you can watch and listen to radio on your TV, not ideal, but better than nothing...

Altogether much better than cable!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well, pretty much the same as cable these days actually, except we substitute 6 million of the radio stations for broadband internet. In other words, not really rf fm radio, you have to use audio out to get stereo, via scart +2 phono, or via phono sockets if you've got'em and they actually output stereo, OK that's another cable negative, they don't, even if you have them. Your FM tuner is redundant with sky. You also need your TV on to tell what you are going to listen to, unless you have the magazine in front of you.

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's correct - the VHF radio section of your receiver is not used, except for local stations which will not be part of the Sky package.

But you will get digital stereo sound from the phonos to the amp section of the Denon, which will be as good, but only as good as the output from the radio station concerned...

And of course stations like Radio Five which is on terrestial AM, will be loud and clear.