FM radio reception- worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by FlyingPete, Jun 29, 2017.

1. FlyingPete

FlyingPete
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got a few devices with FM radio around the house- one built into my surround sound receiver, one connected up to the PC and powering its speakers, plus a couple of clock radios with nothing more than the basic one-wire antenna. A couple of questions:

Is it worth connecting the two with antenna sockets up to the tv aerial? I experimented with the FM radio built into the receiver and it did give good reception, though that may be down to the run of wire up the wall of the house more than anything else. I do have a dipole antenna somewhere I could put in the roof space and diplex with the tv antenna up there.

Is there a means of improving the reception of those with just a wire antenna? I wondered if simply connecting this to the centre core of some coax would give any results, or alternatively open it up and see if a proper aerial connection could be made.

Is it even worth bothering with FM at home? Especially in the lounge where I can pick up digital radio through the freeview TV or sky box. The one thing I use FM for mostly is to wake me up in the mornings, and the bedroom TV doesn't have a wake-up timer.

2. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    I think you answered your own question in the last line. Is it worth wiring for small to no use, I'd say no.