1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FM or DAB?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by CounterWhine, Apr 17, 2003.

?
  1. FM

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. DAB

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi All,

I need some advice.

I've decided to buy myself a tuner but I don't know which way to go. My choices are to buy an FM only T32R or get a DAB module fitted to my AV32R.

I mainly listen to Radio 4 but I'm buying the tuner in an effort to broaden my horizons.

Will the DAB module "be enough"?

TIA,

D.

PS. Of course I could buy the T32R and have the DAB module subsequently added to that but for now, I want to choose one or the other (for reasons of cost).

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'ld stick to a standard FM tuner really. With the lower quality DAB(higher compression) stations and dual-mono on some- and more stations to eat up the bandwidth DAB is step back in quality. Apart from background noise of course.

3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I vote FM. It will allow you to pick up local radio stations as well, and frankly, I am not impressed with the quality of DAB.

4. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quite honestly, when I want radio via the main Av system, I go with SKY. The sound quality is pretty good and, judging by the amount of unhappy R3 listeners via DAB, the bandwidth is OK on Sky. Apparantely, the Beeb keep squeezing more into the pipe.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As excellent as the Tag DAB is (It is the BEST by a mile) I would go FM. I have a T32 and can vouch for how brilliant this tuner is but I don't have DAB broadcasts here anyway :(

6. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi All,

Thanks for the responses (keep them coming).

I also posted this on the Tag forum and Dr Zucker recommended the DAB option.

My heart wants the T32R but my wallet would be satisfied with the DAB.

Decisions, decisions...

D.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a suprise! :)

At least with a certain manu. of subs the two guys (who visit these forums) tell it straight.

Dr Zucker is a "yes" man.

Why not home demo a cheap £100-£300 FM tuner, plus a decent £800 FM tuner (say the Tag/another brand), a Tag DAB tuner and compare analogue v digital? Any decent Hi-Fi shop will allow this, considering the amount for Tag products.

btw, I have some Tag gear- so I'm not putting them down. But I'm not hyping them either! :D

8. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DAB
    Revolutionised radio in my house, as FM reception is crap, and I can't get many channels. DAB is great, unless you're a hi-fi buff. Beg, or borrow a tuner and see for yourself.
    I'm in Sheffield BTW.

9. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the reason BBC DAB stations are lower quality due to the BBC's systems not being able to cope with the sheer number of stations they have, hence the bandwidth is lowered (more compression etc.), rather than a limitation with the technology itself?

If that's the case then surely at some point in the future the BBC will upgrade their systems for better DAB quality.

I take it DAB tuners do FM as well?

As an aside, I 've heard the Pure Digital DAB tuner is supposed to be really good.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't bet on it. Bit risky forking out for a unit (hoping) they'll add more multiplex's- but instead they just increase compression.

Not all DAB tuners have FM reciever, only those with dual tuners.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    NS a bit harsh? Udo recommended the cheapest option, a DAB board in the AV32R, a third of the price of a T32. That seems fairly straight to me.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He should say "compare our Tag FM tuner to our Tag DAB tuner and make your own mind up"

True it's a third of the price of the T32, but at least by comparing FM to DAB FIRST he can get a idea of sound quality before plumping out on the module.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    sounds excellent advice but that was not what Udo was asked to comment on. He was given two choices, he went for the DAB in an AV32R.

I am sure Udo will be more that happy for a demo of Tuners (actually quite difficult to do), he knows and anyone who has heard the T32 will know it will mean another T32 sale for him.

I went through a similar process a couple of years ago and wrote it all up, info certainly on the Tag web site, might even be here I can't remember. I demo'ed dozens of tuners but embarassingly came back to the T32 as being the best. Look in the reviews section at Tag. I have since heard some BIG BOY FM tuners as well (Dynalab MD 90 and Yammy 7000). I made the correct choice ;)

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I seldom listen to radio, when I do it's Radio 4 Today on my clock radio or Sky Digital through my surround sound system with DPL2.
    I used to listen to radio a lot, especially John Peel, " live " concerts and Radio 3 / Classic FM.
    I have never heard a Tag McLaren tuner.
    I have a PURE DRX-701ES DAB tuner, Sony STS-730ES and a Naim NAT-01 and Sugden T-48.
    My opinion is DAB is excellent at it's best, but squashing the channels leaves it inferior to FM at it's best, BBC have stated this also.
    In a perfect world DAB could be really exciting, maybe in the future it will be, but for now stick with FM.

15. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    For what it is worth, i thought the Naim nait tuners were very gppd (3 and 2 - 2 was superb IMHO - haven't heard the 1)

Steve.

P.S Of choice i would choose FM.

16. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I've gone against the grain here but purely on considerations of cost, I've gone for the DAB board for now. Not only is it half the price but I save on an interconnect/mains lead too.

I'll let you all know how I rate it.

D.

17. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    How does the audio quality of stations received through a freeview box compare to FM and DAB?