1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fm modulator ipod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by danny marr, Dec 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. danny marr

danny marr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the fm modulator is illegal in uk, but does anyone know if any of the other mp3 players have the same or similar facility. Thanks in anticipation

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Danny.
    I think that what you are thinking of is the iTrip FM Transmitter. This is illegal due to the government keeping a tight hold on any radio transmissions, despite how weak.
    An FM modulator takes the iPod (or other MP3 players) output and converts it to an FM signal which is then sent to the car radio via a cable which is hard wired to the main car ariel input. This is not illegal and a number of car CD multi changers use this method if the head unit is not set up to accept an aux input.
    As far as I am aware any MP3 player with a line out will allow the use of an FM modulator. You can use the headphone socket, but the signal is not as good.

3. danny marr

danny marr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon, your reply is most helpful, but what would you do if you wanted to play mp3 files through your car radio, or a radio in your home?
    Thanks again in anticipation.
    Danny Marr.

4. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Danny, you are not limited to the itrip although it is the best cosmetic 'fit' for the ipod.
    Go on to ebay and search, you will find many different models of FM modulators.
    I have one and frankly I am not that impressed sonically. Having said that it is one of the cheapest ways of sending your music if like me you have a cd tuner and no hope for a cassette adapter.
    It does its job but adds 'something' to the tone and you can hear pops and whistles if you listen to quite music. However it does sound much better than cassettes ever were!
    One plus point is away from the noisey car you I have played the ipod at home and tuned every readio in the house and garage and heard the music. Easiest multi room link you can have! ;)

Using a purpose built car kit, similar to mobile phone ones, you can connect your ipod and fool the head unit into thinking it is connected to a cd changer. Dension Ice link is such a product, Alpine also do a range of kit, see a current thread in the ICE forum.

To listen to mine at home I have bought a dock and connected it through a line out, much better sound quality to be had compared to the headphone jack. :hiya:

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    There is no doubt that line out is the best. However I am very happy with my iTrip playing through my Bose stereo in my Accord. With engine and wind noise I don't think that you really hear the difference between CD and iPod.
    I have tried the iTrip in the house and have not been that impressed. I prefer to stick to the original CD's or play tracks from my PC. I have encoded all my CD's into Apple's AAC format and think that it is better than MP3, but it is very subjective.
    Try this link for forums on linking the iPod direct to the head unit:
    http://www.ipodlounge.com/