1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FM Cordless Headphones - which are the best.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by andrewloves, Dec 13, 2004.

1. andrewloves

andrewloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want to buy some FM cord-less head phones to listen to music. I currently use an old infrared pair of Philips, but are now falling apart.

These are to be used on a variety of sources (CDs, mp3s, dab radio) and music types. I want to spend about £100 ish, maybe more if there is a big step in quality.

My main concerns are:
    1) The hiss or interferance. Particullay as I use a 'Cordless' phone, mobile phone, wireless PC network, and Bluetooth).
    2) Not to distube my neighboors (to be used in a quite working enviroment).
    3) How long I can wear these for (comfort and battery life), as I may where them for most of the working day. Auto power off would be usefull.

Does anyone have any experience, problems or good links to 'reviews' sites

Andrew

2. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have some Sennhieser RS120, cost about £60 and sound very good. A little hiss and crackle now and then. Nothing major unless the volume is up high with nothing playing.

I also have some Sony Infrared MDS-3000 surround sound headphones. Cost me £96 off ebay and the sound is awesome. Amazing. Much better than the ones mentioned above.

3. andrewloves

andrewloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Humm. Thanks for the reply. I will have to persude a local dealer to power some up for me to see if the hissing is a problem with the FM cans

Short list incs:
    Senn's RS 45-8, and RS 65-8
    AKG K206, K406 and K506.
    Beyerdynamic RSX 600

Anyone use these? Which is the best - I don't know. I have found a few reviews, but none side-by-side.

Andrew.

4. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Andrew,

I have tried the Sennhieser RS45 and RS65. The RS45 sound very muddy and not very clear, also the volume is not that high. The RS65 are better but still not as clear as the RS120. The RS120 go very loud, sound very clear, and sound as close to normal headphones as a wireless set will allow.

I have tried some AKG wireless headphones and they were average...a little hissy, but too many crackles and pops and the sound was just average (only a few meters away).

I was surprised when i got the Infrared ones by sony (mdrs 3000). Not only are they the best sounding wireless headphones i have used, they also have the lowest amount of hiss and no crackles and pops at all. The only problem is you can only use them in 1 room. You can move around and where ever i am in the room, the sound is the same. Excellent item.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    My philips infra red headphones are hissy
    My Sony FM headphones are fantastic (but still a little hiss)

6. andrewloves

andrewloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Honglong - Do you remember which AKG's you tried?

Pjclark - Which Sony's have you got?

Andrew

7. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think they were the AKG 777? they were Dolby Pro Logic headphones.

Seriously though, £60 will buy you the RS120 headphones. Great sound! chargable, takes AA batteries!

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    sony 815
    purchased from ebay 4 weeks ago for £32 delivered (new)
    the rechargable batteries in them last upto 24hrs they say

9. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the RS120 THAT much better than the RS65? I have the RS65 and am pretty pleased with them. I listen to a lot of TV and music with my headphones so if there is something out that which is 'significantly' better then I would consider upgrading.

I had some philips Infrared ones before the RS65 and they useless, the transmitter had to be in line of sight so if I rolled over in bed while listening to music it would just cut out!

10. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yeah, the RS120 are a lot better than the RS65, i would say better than the RS85 too.

They are really cheap too. The only thing i really miss is the auto tune of the RS series. But appart from that, the sound is soooo much better.

Seriously, as close to normal headphones as wireless headphones get.

You can pick them up from Argos too for £59.99

Try them...if you don't like them, get a refund. hehe. They are very good though

11. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ooh am tempted to do that. Would be great to get ones even better, what is the battery life like?

12. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The batteries last about 20 hours.

Also they are AAA batteries so easy and cheap to replace.

13. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    20 hours! That is significantly more than the RS65 which is approximately 4-5 hours. Thanks for your help honglong

14. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    no problem.

let me know if you get some and how you think they compare to the RS65

15. andrewloves

andrewloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou for you replies.

I've just ordered a pair of AKG K506 - £150. Happy Christmas to Me :)
    I'd better make something for the wife and kid.

Quoted 20hrs AA battery life for these.

AKG make mostly pro sound gear and are part of the 'Harmen' group - so they should (hopefully) be OK - not heard them. If not they will be on ebay.

I will have to try them against Sennhieser RS120. I wonder what Argos does with all those returns?

Andrew

16. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andrewloves: let us know how you get on with the AKG K506, as you said they are a very well respected brand for corded phones so hopefully their wireless ones will be good

17. Kamui

Kamui
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hijack your thread but can anyone recommend a set of headphones that can used if using more than one set in a house as my sister has got some and they cause problems with mine.

Thanks

18. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    np. a lot of wireless headphones allow for the frequency to be changed so that more than one set can be used. This is certainly true of the RS65 and the philips that I have owned

19. Kamui

Kamui
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm well ive got a Philips HC8650 and my sister has got a Panasonic one (which I could shoot myself for buying) I find I have a lot of problems when changing the channels on the back of transmitter on each one.

Do you think it would be better if I got another HC8650 there quite a nice cheap set.

Thanks for the help.

20. rommi

rommi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    isnt the problem with wireless headphones bass response (ie not clarity)

i tried some Senns wireless a year or so ago, the quality was good, but the base was feeble, so no good for rap which is a large chunk of m listening material.

have things moved on much over a year or so (maybe even longer)

21. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought AKG K105's as they were recommended in What Hi Fi or somewhere and I have to say they are the worst purchase I have EVER made with constant hiss and crackle's. I can't listen to them so they are still in the box. I did complain to the retailer but they didn't want to know so I gave up in the end.

Simon

22. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    anyone after some wireless headphones, try the sennhieser rs120

23. andrewloves

andrewloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Swarrans: Hummm, I saw these advertised by richer sounds. Maybe things have moved on since earlier cans...

Not a chance to give the AKGs (506) a really good try as yet, but they seem OK and moderatley 'hiss' free at least through a few walls of my house. Yes there is a bit of a hiss, but only with volume up to loud for normal listing when nothing is playing. Most of the time i will be sitting 6ft from the transmitter anyway.

Tried them so far with: Fatboyslim (can hear the imperfections of vinyl), Talvin Singh, and TearsforFears (The seeds of love) and a bit of Classical. Bass good, nice and open, revealing, and seems to cut out alot of ambient office noise, such as laptops and voices. A little bit of noise leakage when up high. Not a 'lab test', as I don't have access to countless other makes of headphones, but I'm impressed generally, miles and miles better than my old Philips. Build quality good, except base unit foot which is a bit flimsey. Lovely and compfortable (important to me as I use these for about 4 hours a day).

Got mine cheap as they were supplus stock from http://www.10outof10.co.uk for £145.12 inc vat and delivery.

On a related note: I've just found an interesting bluetooth set from Aiptek (whoever they are?):
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/545...langue=uk&tag=prevenir_ami_uk_uk&idt=28881943

24. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    I had a pair of AKG K105 UHF fones and they were dire.
    Even from 2 metres away if you moved your head side on to the unit
    it lost the signal and all you get is hiss.Truly abysmal headphones sold them
    on ebay.

25. flid

flid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought some RS120 to replace my HD535s that I bought about 7 years ago (at about £105) and have since got through 2 replacement cables costing 25 quid each! The quality isn't as good, but it's alright for TV/Computer Games/MP3 which is it's primary role. If I wiggle the cable a bit I can still use my HD535 if I ever need decent quality. The thing which is impressive is the range. I live in a 2nd floor appartment in the middle of a city. With the transmitter on my window sill I have signal well in excess of 100 metres. With a bit of hiss I still have reception outside the argos I bought them in at the other end of the road! :D

26. tichtich

tichtich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks to the recommendations here, I'm thinking of buying a pair of RS120's, and would appreciate it if anyone could answer this question for me. What's the height of the cradle with the headphones on it? I would want to put it on the shelf under my TV, and I'm concerned it might not fit. (Sennheiser's telephone sales department couldn't answer this!)

27. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sennheiser RS65. After all the talk about the RS120 I tried them (got the from Argos so I could return them if I didn't like them). After testing them I decided to keep my RS65's, the sound quality is about the same, but the RS65 are a LOT more comfortable and there is less noise leakage.

Size for the Sennheiser RS65: with the headphones on the stand it comes to 21cm, without the headphones its 12cm high

28. tichtich

tichtich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the reply. In the end I decided to go ahead and buy the RS120s. They probably won't fit in my shelf, but I'll put them on top of the TV instead.

29. sound_05

sound_05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys don't forget the rest of the Sennheiser wireless range. Sony have a great wireless portfolio however, the rs130's 140's knock the rest out of the water. SPEND A BIT MORE!

Surround sound
    automatic tune
    better ear pads (not foam)

I think sound quality is not alot different but still, the features are endless!

30. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Does anyone know where the best place is to get the Rs130's. I would ideally like to get them from a reputable dealer or website, as I have not seen them for less than £74, and would prefer to actually try them before shelling out the dosh. I have seen a few opinions on these phones which are quite positive but want to try them myself. :)