Flying with a full leg cast?

gg13533

We're due to fly to the Canaries in 2 weeks with friends. One of whom has had an accident and is currently in a full leg cast. What are the problems associated with flying with this? How flexible are airlines regards getting an appropriate seat etc?

John

ring the airline, you may need an extra seat

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Agree with this. When my son broke his had we had to have the plaster split before we flew to Portugal.

Yes, you can't fly with a full leg cast that isn't split I believe. The leg swells too much during flight that it is not safe if the leg doesn't have room to move.

gg13533

Will pass this info on to my friend. He has a consultant appointment on Tuesday and depending on that outcome will check with airline.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Seats with increased leg room are normally by emergency exits, so he may not be able to sit there if he is incapacitated. there's usually a few seats that have the leg room but are not classified as emergency rows, but these often get booked up in advance. Don't assume he will get a free upgrade to a better seat, they might just refuse to fly him! Contact them now to be sure.

He will certainly need a split cast - mine was done simply by the plaster clinic by cutting the length of the cast and then wrapping it with an elastic bandage. It did need replacing when I got back home.

gg13533

Update - patient progressing well consultant and travel insurance confirmed fit to fly. Spoke to flight people and they confirmed that he needs to have the split cast and that they will normally require him to sit across 3 seats to support his leg. Waiting on confirmation that they have available seats and the price.

gg13533

Final update - not enough seats available, so they have offered to amend the holiday to another date. Gone for a date around 4 weeks after the cast comes off, so should be OK. Kudos to Thomas Cook, they did the amendment with no charges and refunded the extra leg room we had previously booked. Very pleasant to deal with, good customer service.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom