Flying to Japan

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people have done so, been looking around at the costs from different airlines the cheapest direct flights seem to be ANA (All Nippon Airways) and JAL (Japan Airlines) then other cheap ones are the likes of Emirates who go via Dubai.

Just wondering if anyone has flown JAL or ANA and what they thought of them compared to the likes of Virgin and BA etc, I was talking to a BA pilot and he doesn't know much about JAL but said that ANA are as good as any.
Looked at BA but they're at least £300 more per person, a bit too much really.

Anyone have any views on the airlines mentioned, or even others used to go to Japan?
Cheers
:thumbsup:

I flew with Air France last year (March) return for £499 - That inluded flying from Manchester to Paris.

That was a good price at the time, just under 12hrs from Paris . Service and food was excllent. Couldn't fault them.

I flew with Air France last year (March) return for £499 - That inluded flying from Manchester to Paris.

That was a good price at the time, just under 12hrs from Paris . Service and food was excllent. Couldn't fault them.

Had a look at these too, also KLM but both of them cost more than ANA and JAL who go direct to Tokyo from Heathrow.

We're looking at about £540 per person (late August).

I'd personally recommend paying as much as you can possibly afford and going with the most comfortable airline you can.

Myself and the missus flew to Tokyo a few years ago with Lufthansa and it was possibly one of the worst experiences of my life.

Cramped, very hot, appalling in flight entertainment (basically just a handful of tiny 14" monitors about the cabin), dirty tiny toilets and nasty food.

It's a long flight and like me I guess you'll be fairly excited about going and probably won't get much if any sleep the night before. I couldn't get any sleep at all during the flight due to the temperature and cramped cabin and felt utterly dreadful the whole time. It also doesn't help matters that after that you get off the plane it's so hot and muggy in comparison to the UK. The immigration queue at Narita was also over an hour long too.

None of the above spoiled the trip as it really is a fantastic place, but I would do everything you can make it as bearable as possible in future.

Hi,

The service on ANA is awesome - you have nothing to worry about!

Suave!

I flew with virgin Atlantic in December, flight cost £799 in economy. Virgin seemed to be a little more expensive then the other airlines, however it was a direct flight.

The service from virgin was excellent, managed to get a exit seat with loads of leg room.

we go every year. If you're flexible on timing, then wait for sales - traditionally we go during the easter holidays and it costs about £450 per adult.

We get a free magazine each saturday, and I think either JAL or ANA were offering discounts now - about £580 direct which is very good this time of year (clearly the recession affecting them)

Both JAL and ANA are fine - big carriers, they'll look after you. I think ANA is like virgin, and JAL like BA (in that JAL is the more conservative airline, and ANA get the pretty ones), but all four direct carriers are good.

No point going indirect as the cost isn't that different.

beware that Virgin now charge you £75 for an exit row seat.

Hi,

Should have mentioned it earlier but seeing as prices vary so much, if you can get say premium economy with ANA for not too much more, you might want to consider it if you like or need the extra leg space - it is a long flight!

Suave!

I try get all my tickets with premium economy now if it is a long haul flight (more than 6 hours to me). Alot of companies use premium as there business now.

I know BA are doing away with first class on all there new planes, so there seating will be, Economy, Premium Economy and Business. Virgin has Economy, Premium Economy and Upper Class.

Last edited:
I know BA are doing away with first class on all there new planes, so there seating will be, Economy, Premium Economy and Business.

Which is the same as saying Economy, Business, and First... :rolleyes:

Hi,

Should have mentioned it earlier but seeing as prices vary so much, if you can get say premium economy with ANA for not too much more, you might want to consider it if you like or need the extra leg space - it is a long flight!

Suave!

Well the two of us aren't exactly tall guys both about 5ft 10 so the room isn't essential but obviously would be ideal if the price is right.

I try get all my tickets with premium economy now if it is a long haul flight (more than 6 hours to me). Alot of companies use premium as there business now.

I know BA are doing away with first class on all there new planes, so there seating will be, Economy, Premium Economy and Business. Virgin has Economy, Premium Economy and Upper Class.

We were looking at going BA as a family friend is a BA captain and said there is a change we could get free upgrades but it would be a gamble left down to the day, he said it's probably not worth risking for a £300 or so increase in price and that ANA would be just as good economy wise.

As much as we'd love to fly something other than economy the budget is really around £600, can't justify much more of a bump at the moment, but maybe next time!

Cheers for all the input folks :thumbsup:

Which is the same as saying Economy, Business, and First... :rolleyes:

In a way yes and in a way no, because currently they have Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First. All they are doing away with is First, all other classes seating will remain the same. So no change in classes just in the names.

how much extra is the premium economy on ANA?

On most companies its about £300 - £400 more than economy, so it should be around that price.

and what's the difference - softer pillows and nicer sandwiches?

Couple of inches footroom, biggers seats and airline depending they sometimes do inseat entertainment - each gets their own screen.

Premium Economy Comparison Chart

ANA shows all having power for laptop too.

Every economy flight I've ever flown on have there own screen, BA, Virgin, SAA, American Airlines.

Premium has got, bigger seats, recline further, its own curtained off cabin, bigger screens, priority check in and boarding, free champagne on boarding, diner served on china plates instead of plastic boxes, etc etc

wouldn't bother with premium TBH. Just get up and walk around - its a big aeroplane

I personally think that any flight over 6 hours is worth having premium, your seats are alot bigger and recline further so you can even sleep better on over night flights.

I personally think that any flight over 6 hours is worth having premium, your seats are alot bigger and recline further so you can even sleep better on over night flights.

I think i'd need a bed to get any never mind a decent sleep on a flight, though I will be looking at getting some kind of sleeping pills or something for the trip.

In a way yes and in a way no, because currently they have Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First. All they are doing away with is First, all other classes seating will remain the same. So no change in classes just in the names.

Well I imagine that if they are currently struggling to fill business class, then first must be a waste of space.

Nowadays, business class is typically better than first class was anyway in the past when they only had 3 classes.

Though having travelled first class a few times I found one always met a better class of traveller :) (rock stars apart), some of whom wouldn't want to miggle with 'ordinary folk'. :rolleyes: I can imagine BA loosing some customers if they don't have a first class, so it will be a double-edged sword.

True, but when it is your money and not the companies, would you still spend £1000 to fly to Japan, or £600?

Last edited:
True, but when it is your money and not the companies, would you still spend £1000 to fly to Japan, or £600?

It is my money when I fly premium, if I fly with the company then it is business.

40% extra for better food and champagne before takeoff seems ridiculous.

The larger seat thing is silly, it's still a nightmare getting any kip on anything but a bed in the air.

Let's face it the quality of food and entertainment in economy onboard long-haul carriers isn't exactly ryanair...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom