Fluctuating Projector Prices

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sun, May 26, 2004.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    They dooooooooo my heeeed in!

I have been gathering momentum on the projector front for the last 6 weeks, reading up as much as I can and am ready to fall off the fence in the next 3 weeks into the trough of swill that is home projection.

I have had my eye on the Epson TW10 and have been monitoring it's price every day. 2 - 3 weeks ago things started moving, it dropped over £70 at Ebuyer then rose gradually to over a £100 more and then fell gradually to where it is now £800. I was a bit gutted about this at the time and wish I had took my chance but then out of the blue nomatica dropped their price to £704 (£720 delivered!) and it has been like this for over a week and a half, this seemed like a steal!

So I have been happily holding off the purchase until I am back from my wedding mid June how I wished I hadn't. As per my daily ritual I fired up pricerunner today to check it's gloriously low price and it's gone up by £100 !!! Raaaaaaaaah

Projector price changes suck!
    /Rant over.

2. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Best bet, is to find a Projector and buy it!!!! dont' wait, price always change for various reasons

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Its all down to currency movements, dollar/euro to pound.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    That particular model has been upgraded (brighter and better contrast) indicated by an H on the end of the model number. Older stocks will have dropped in price as the newer model came in.

5. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    yeah next time it's sub £800 I'll bit the bullet I think, just a pain in the bum really, I didn't think any major fluctuation had occurred since yesterday to cause the price change though? As for the new model yeah I am aware of the "H" version but have yet to find it online for sale, as far as I can tell the increased price is on the normal TW10 model.

6. Balle Klorin

Balle Klorin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I can see, its still £704 at nomatica.com.

7. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Mwahahaha you're not wrong, looks like the link has been changed and now Pricerunner is pointing towards the TW10H version which is £820 delivered. The original TW10 is only £720 delivered still.

Happy days :thumbsup:

now how much longer should I sit on the fence for? :rotfl:

8. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sun,

I bought a HS20 for £2100 and 6 weeks later Sony reduced to £1500 which IN MY OPINION IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.

On this occasion I wouldn't take NTSLIK'S advice(I think he is a vendor anyway-he is bound to say that). From what I have seen over the last 8 months there seems to be a projector cycle.

The next time I buy it will be just after the new wave of PJ's come out and I will buy the previous model at a vastly reduced rate.

Just stick with pricerunner, kelkoo and dealtime and you will pay bottom dollar - it just means you have to be patient.

9. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Well maybe, but if you go for the H version for an extra hundred quid it does get you a better projector than the non H version, £20 drinks voucher, freebie screen and a beer fridge!!! Dunno about you but for just an extra ton i'd be doing that (and it's not shameless self promotion since we can't sell the projector to you that cheap :( )

Another way of looking at it is if it took another month to fall 50 quid, surely you would want to pay the 50 quid just to have the projector now? It's not always the case, somethings are worth waiting for a drastic price drop (as long as they don't take too long!). Just trying to point out that the bottom line figure isn't everything... especially on a product where aftercare, delivery time scales and knowledgable sales staff is just as important a factor as price.

10. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

11. redrocket

redrocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other issue is that whatever we do, whatever price we pay, the depreciation is going to be massive. So, do the research, buy your PJ and then use it A LOT! :clap:

12. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSLIK - Exactly my point - If he had bought the Themescene 10 months ago, hed be a bit pigged of now.

Sorry to sound so harsh - just a bit raw after my Sony debacle.

Chris

13. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I appreciate what your saying to a degree and the Sony debacle must of been a bit of a blow, but if you hadn't of seen the price drop i can't believe you spent the 6 weeks from when you purchased it saying "i paid well over the asking price for that", you bought it for the reasons you wanted it and paid the price you were happy to pay, it's like saying " i'm glad i bought my house when i did, it's gone up in price"

Oh and just out of interest we don't get any compensation, if we've bought stock thats still in stock and the manufacturer drops the price we don't get any money back

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you see it at a good price buy it. Otherwise you would be waiting forever. If it drops in price...thats life. Anoying but these things happen.

15. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    FWIW If you buy branded goods over £150 on Barclaycard and see them cheaper with another retailer within 60 days you can claim the difference back.
    I've not done this myself but I plan on using it as a safety net when I do finally take the plunge - I'm also going to check that they will cover a projector before I use the card!
    My heart goes out to you Sneaky - you must have been gutted by such a massive drop.

16. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks for the input guys, I think you could be right about going for the TW10H ntslik, Better projector + beer and then I could sell the screen to make up some of the price difference. Win/Win situation really.

I do feel for you Sneaky however but then if the retailers also lose out it looks like it's no ones fault but Sony's. We've all been hit by that kind of situation before I'm sure, although that is a hefty drop in price but honestly have you enjoyed your projector any less because of it?

17. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSLIK,

There has always been question marks over whether or not the HS20 is £700 or £800 better than the Z2 and the AE500.

I can only hypothosise what has actually happened. So here goes, Sony have priced the HS20 wrongly, they have then seen the Z2 and AE500 selling in there truck loads and have swiped 25% of the price. This leads me to believe that the HS20 was way overpriced in the first place which is what a lot of people thought. I stupidly believed the Sony Crap and trusted them.

I see myself as a loyal Sony Customer (I only ever buy Sony equipment - what a prat I am) but that has obviously changed now - I have had a £600 lesson - (which isnt the end of the world but it does stick in my throat).

If the price of the HS20 had crept down at a £100 a month over 6 months, I wouldn't have had a problem with it(thats depreciation and we are all ok with that) - but to drop it that much overnight - IMO it wasnt on and to me it was obvious that they had priced it wrongly in the first place.

The good thing about it is I wont be caught again, besides that once you have a PJ it is easier to strike for the bargain the next time.

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think you have summed that up quite well Sneaky. Its a leason learned anyway. It is out of order, it happens to all of us some point. I just took a £140 hit on a 2 month old dvi dvd player that I have never used and cant get working right.

If you think about it too much it drives you mad. At least you have a nice projector to watch Euro 2004 on !

19. Venom1969

Venom1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel ur pain sneaky. I bought the HS20 at the end of February and now 3 months late has depreciated beyond recognition. I agree with what you say about Sony mispricing the pj. £600 isn't exactly chump change. It's always hard to try and find a pj that will retain it's value because of the ever quickening pace of technology the value will drop the moment you buy it.

Buying at the end of a product lifecycle and the beginning of the new cycle seems to be the best bet. GL with ur future purchases sneaky.

20. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i'm sorry but if you honestly believe that the corporation that is Sony throw a stack of prices in the air and which ever one lands up, thats how they price their products you have an enormous mis-understanding of business and industry.

I am not a massive fan of Sony just for the reason that their prices never seem to offer value for money, we often get people asking for a Sony, but when asked why, they always reply "don't know".....Sony has done a very good on brand awareness, but please remember companys of that size have share holders they have margins and set manufacturing costs, they don't just randomly price products for a laugh, it's the shortest queue at the supermarket syndrome again, you only notice when the price drops

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well yes but the guys who have lost £600 overnight pretty much are not really concerned with Sonys profit margins and shareholders.

I am afraid I have to agree with Sneaky. I think the HS20 was over priced and users voted with their feet. Sony were forced to adjust their prices because they were not selling at the price point they were trying to compete at.

Not really a good advert for Sony is it.

22. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSLIK,

I do not really understand what you are trying to say in your first paragraph.

As for understanding how business works - well I dont think Sony know how customers work - they obviously priced there product very wrongly, so what does that say about them. My only fault is I thought Sony was a premium company that I thought(stupidly as it turns out) provided a better product than Sanyo and Panasonic. I thought it was worth paying the extra.

What they have done is undermined(and others I would think) my confidence in there company - which means lack of sales - profits for shareholders etc.

A little business lesson for you NTSILK confidence in a company means everything (You ask Gerald Ratner) once you lose it you are in trouble.

Another little business lesson for you NT - the Stock Market works on confidence and confidence a lone.

Once again if they can wipe that much of a PJ without having a new one on the horizon - it cant have been worth that in the first place.

Do I enjoy the Projector - Yes I do - what I don't like is being had over by a DEL BOY type character.

23. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I give up Sneaky, pointless discussion really, I thank you for your business tips, i've written them down, i didn't realise you were in the industry.

24. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTSLIK - You arrogance is as bad as Companies like Sony's. You DONT HAVE TO BE IN THE BUSINESS to know how to treat potential customers.

25. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey hey hey...i'm not being arrogant, let's all calm down.

26. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have got to say its all getting a bit nasty now. At the end of the day, its a users forum. So we are obviously in the majority biased towards users not merchants / compaines etc.... I realise that sponsors help pay for the running costs of the forums but I always find it a little a bit amiss when you have posters who obviously work for, own, affiliated with an av company get involved.

I think the last few posts show while I feel this to be the case.

Just my opinion.

27. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more Harris.

Well Said

28. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think this was my point, the original gripe was about the fluctuating price of projectors, as being in the business for 16 years I was merely pointing out that pricing products is not as basic as made out, and also I don't really feel I need business advise (so hense appologise for the sarcasm), I totally appreciate people can get annoyed of things like price drops etc, but they are not done in the callous way being portrayed, but think about what you have bought in the last 5 years say and point out which if any the price hasn't dropped.

I feel a few more people on these forums do need to start looking at both sides which is why there is also a mix of end users, retailer and even manufactures on these forums, so we we get a wide spectrum of input, but when someone has been unfortunate to purchase a product which goes down in price 6 weeks later and then starts a thread on fluctuating projector prices surely has to accept there are other reasons, opinions etc, it was also my and quite probably numurous other peoples opinion that if anyone truely believes that the statements made about how Sony price their products really doesn't understand how business works, and i don't mean that in a patronising way.

I would really like to see this thread continue into a useful discussion on prices etc. which would be far more productive for all to see and understand on all sides of the fence

29. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The person who started the thread wasnt the person who complained about something reducing in price 6 weeks later - it was me.

I dont think anyone has made any comments on how Sony price there products, only Sony themselves will know that - we can only guess.

It would depend on which business model they used maybe they should use the Easyjet model whereby the first buyers get the cheapest price and it gets progressively more expensive as the stuff is bought.

Take out the business side of things and look it from a logical point of view and draw your own conclusions from what you see - this is what I have done and that is how I came to the conclusions I did.

When I was buying the PJ I rang loads of companies about price matching them and a lot of them said they couldnt because the margins just werent there and then as if by magic the PJ drops 25% ish in one fell swoop - again nowt to do with the vendor - Sony once again. Presumably everyone is still making money at the £1500 mark. As I said before if this had happened over 6 months I wouldnt have had a problem with it.

My beef is not with you or businesses like yours - you have to be competitive otherwise you wouldnt survive - I understand that and dont have a problem with it - you are at the mercy of these companies just like we are - the problem I have is with Sony and if you were being honest you must see why I am so annoyed by it. I feel that the way it has panned out is quite immoral. It has actually become a principle thing with me rather than a money thing.

If every company behaved in this manner, nobody would ever buy anything, they would always be thinking that the goods they were buying werent worth the price on the tag.

30. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    sneaky sneaky sneaky

Totally understand where you are coming from and to be honest I also do the rant and rave when Marantz offer me a product at £xxx and then sell the remainder to Richer Sounds allowing them to retail them at £50 less then i bought them at, it's goes on across the board, but the general feeling i got from your post was that you thought Sony exec's sit there smoking cigars and gigling at the potential of conning people out of as much money as possible, really in only 6 weeks you should have demanded a refund difference form the shop or even sony