Flower

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by calypso69er, Sep 7, 2007.

1. calypso69er

calypso69er

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,
    A couple of pictures I took this morning. I'm quite pleased with them, but they are waaaaay short of the quality of everything else on here. I'm looking for some advice on the basics really (composition, exposure etc). I'm new at this, with a D40 and just the kit lens, so feel free to be as blunt as possible.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hope this helps...the pic loooks nice & sharp, but the main "subject" flower is a bit overexposed. The overexposure will be due to the other darker colours in the scene making the camera increase the exposure. To counter this, spot meter (if you have it) off the subject flower.

As a result, the colours are a bit flat.

Also, it's a very busy picture. Better to take the subject flower away from the bunch (assuming that it is what you are wanting the pic of) and putting it on its own some distance from a darkish background (doesn't matter what this is - a lwan, fence etc). Then use a wide aperture and take the shot. The background will be all out of focus, concentrating the eye on the flower itself.

Tobers

3. calypso69er

calypso69er

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Tobers, that's exactly the kind of advice I'm after. Finding it quite a steep learning curve, after changing from a simple point and shoot camera!

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    As Tobers says, they're a little but flat, but that can be fixed. 2 mins in Nikon Capture NX gives you this...

[​IMG]

Photoshop elements would give you similar results, but NX is better for Nikon users (though more expensive and slower)

Tobers is also correct about isolating the subject. Here's a bunch of lillies at 50mm f5.0 (aperture priority). Notice the shallow depth of field. When you can't get the whole flower in focus, aim to get either the stamens or tips of petals sharp.

[​IMG]

5. calypso69er

calypso69er

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Yandros, good advice, and it does look a lot better. What did you alter to get those results? I don't have CaptureNX, I'm using CS3, but it's a bit, er, complicated.

6. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Most of the significant stuff was in the "levels and curves" adjustment. I raised the black point quite a lot, and lowered the white point a little. I then dragged the line down into a curve until it looked nice. I tweaked the colour balance a little as well, and added the tiniest amount of sharpening, and a bit of a colour boost.