• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Flower in our back garden

ksten

Hi all,

I posted an image in the competition forum last night and received useful feedback so thought I would post again with a picture of a flower from our back garden that I took last night.

Exif: 55mm f/2.8 1/640s ISO100 (Handheld with IS)

PP consisted of cropping, some healing of spots on the petals followed by levels and curves adjustments. I burned a lighter portion of the image to the bottom left as the background looks very dark on my monitor so the lighter area was disatracting. On my wife's laptop monitor the image was much lighter though so you could see where I had burned and it actually looked worse!? Then I sharpened the middle section and blurred the petals slightly.

Comments most welcome - particularly regarding the use of the burn tool and monitor calibration methods (Is it worth investing in a calibration tool? I think I may prefer to put the money towards a macro lens though).

Many thanks in advance.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Thats a lovely shot - and without wishing to contradict something I said in an earlier post, I think the square crop works nicely in this case.

The colour saturation looks a little heavy for me probably as a result of the levels and curves adjustment - but thats personal taste. I think it may have been nice to see some of the colour coming from behind - I think you'd still have the emphasis on the flower as you're dof is so limited.

Interestingly, when reading the text underneath, the flower seemed to pulsate - might just be my contact lenses! :eek:

Really nice

senu

Distinguished Member
Like the shot:smashin:

I don't like the ultra shallow DOF though, the edges of the petals are already slightly OOF:(

Interestingly, when reading the text underneath, the flower seemed to pulsate - might just be my contact lenses!....
It is..
My glasses don't give the same effect:rotfl:

netronelson

Nice shot - it makes my eyes fuzzy too :)

Gizmo 76

Very nice shot indeed :thumbsup:

I can't see where you've used the burn tool on this monitor, but I do agree with liquid that some colour instead of black behind the flower might have worked well, but the colours on the flower itself are spot on for me.

The monitor thing is something I have a problem with as well, due to doing processing on my home screen and my grilfriend's laptop. My home screen is always sharper and has better contrast than the laptop, so pictures that I process at home often look quite a bit flatter and softer on the laptop, then pictures that I do on the laptop look too sharp at home :mad:

I would also be interested in hearing what people think of them calibration devices that you can stick on your screens??

ksten

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Agreed about the saturation. I didn't notice it last night, but I've just tried desaturating it slightly and it certainly does look more subtle.

Perhaps blurring the petals and sharpening the centre has pushed the OOF parts too far. Maybe this is what is making peoples' eyes go funny!? I'm not convinced I like that effect if the image can't be viewed properly!

I found the original background quite messy even with the small DOF (Perhaps I need to do some weeding!? :D). Probably personal taste but thanks for the idea.

As for using IS at 1/640 - I can only blame my inexperience. I've only had the camera a short time now and, to be honest, I haven't actually turned the IS off yet! Presumably there is no negative affect on the IQ by leaving it on when it's not needed - just a needless drain on the battery?

Thanks again everyone.

PS Steve - I like your St Ives photographs. I was there over the Easter weekend (My wife's parents have a flat overlooking Carbis Bay). One thought for a competition entry was looking down at my feet dangling over the edge of Smeatons Pier - the sea was a lovely colour - but the call of Doom Bar bitter in the Sloop was too great!

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
As for using IS at 1/640 - I can only blame my inexperience. I've only had the camera a short time now and, to be honest, I haven't actually turned the IS off yet! Presumably there is no negative affect on the IQ by leaving it on when it's not needed - just a needless drain on the battery?

Thanks again everyone.

PS Steve - I like your St Ives photographs. I was there over the Easter weekend (My wife's parents have a flat overlooking Carbis Bay). One thought for a competition entry was looking down at my feet dangling over the edge of Smeatons Pier - the sea was a lovely colour - but the call of Doom Bar bitter in the Sloop was too great!

Ah, I see. I must admit that I keep IS turned off unless I actually need it as it can cause unnecessary blur when tripod mounted and long exposures (weird I know but true) and it does drain the battery quicker than without.

It's a nice pint that Doom Bar isn't it, sank a few when we were down there :smashin:

ksten

Thanks for the advice.

It didn't help that they had waitress service out the front of the Sloop so I didn't even have to get up!

Cheers.

jonnypb

thats a very strange shot in a good way, like senu said it would normally be best to increase the dof so that the petals are sharp but in this case your pic really draws the eye to the image and looks kinda good IMO

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom