• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Flower Abstracts

ksten

Crackers Allie.

You've probably been asked this before (And I've probably read the answer, but I've forgotten), but what is your preferred method for taking the series of photographs to make the stack? Handheld, braced against something, tripod with macro rail? Never tried stacking but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

allie_c

Crackers Allie.

You've probably been asked this before (And I've probably read the answer, but I've forgotten), but what is your preferred method for taking the series of photographs to make the stack? Handheld, braced against something, tripod with macro rail? Never tried stacking but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Ksten, i shoot everything handheld, for most of these my hand was braced against the coffee table for that extra bit of stability.

ksten

Thanks Allie. Do you have any idea how much you actually move between each photo that you use for stacking then or is it something you've gained a feel for over time?

I think if I tried to do that I'd be all over the place - especially at these magnifications!

Thanks again.

allie_c

Thanks Allie. Do you have any idea how much you actually move between each photo that you use for stacking then or is it something you've gained a feel for over time?

I think if I tried to do that I'd be all over the place - especially at these magnifications!

Thanks again.

As long as im braced reasonably well, very little. Up, Down and Side to Side movement isnt usually a problem its when you start rotating the camera that leads to problems when it comes to stacking. When i get in tonight i will post up the shots for one of these stacks so you can see.

ksten

Thanks Allie, that would be great if you have a chance. Hopefully, that will give me an idea of how much you move the DOF forwards / backwards between each exposure to get the coverage that you require.

Cheers,

Keith

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Allie - I thought you had been banned from this forum after your last set of spectacular photos :D

Fantasic work mate - even if it does make me realise how far I have to go :(

Number 5 is my favourite, I really like the way you capture water drops.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom