1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floppy drive case

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sticker, Jan 18, 2004.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Although I rarely use a floppy drive these days, sods law being what it is, I've had to use one 4 times in the last week. However my laptop & PC don't have a floppy, so I have to breakout a very old laptop and use that one. This is so old that it is running Win95 with a 260Mb hd so I want to find a way that I can use a floppy without using this laptop which is almost obsolete.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a case that will convert an internal floppy into an external USB floppy? I've seen them with the foppy built in but they are around £30 and being the cheapskate that I am I want to pay less than this :)

Regards
    John

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Can't you just buy an internal one ( under£10 for my panasonic).
    They are dead easy to install( you just plug them in to the correct port and thats it, no drivers or jumpers).

I've got one in my HTPC but you'd have to open it up to get access to it. I think I've used it once in nearly 2 years and that was mainly to test it.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, USB floppy drives are quite expensive. One could get a 52x CD-rw (USB) for less.

Same as Mr.D, I've a floppy drive hidden behind the front panel of my Lian Li case so it's accessible if needed.

Cheapest option I'd say.

Have never come across a floppy external case or caddy.

:smoke:

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately I have no room for one in my case, hence the need for the xternal one. Oh well will have to bite the bullett

Regards
    John

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    You could always plug an external one in just when you need it.