Question Floorstanding/ Tower Speaker Height (Monitor Audio Bronze 5) and Stands for Floorstanders

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fallinlight, Jan 22, 2018.

1. fallinlight

fallinlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Floorstanding/ Tower Speaker Height (Monitor Audio Bronze 5) and Stands for Floorstanders

Hello,

Does anyone have floorstanders or Bronze 5s that they have found too short?

As the Bronze 5s stand at approximately 88 cm tall with plinth and spikes, a whole 12 - 17 cm shorter than the average floorstander. With the common ideal for tweeters to be ear level for the best sound in mind, at regular seating height, the 88 cm height is too short for this. For example, sitting on a chair of about 47 cm seat height, places my ears clearly above the tweeter. Luckily my current sofa is without it's wheels and tweeters (as well as all my other Bronze speakers bar the centre) are perfectly level with ears. However, I do intend on getting new seating come spring/ summer, which will mean the sound will be marred, with ears above the tweeters. I've tested closely sitting even just a fraction above ear level to the tweeters and some clarity is lost, in the high frequencies mostly, of course, which I do not like. This makes sense of course, high frequencies being more directional.

One of the benefits of floorstanders is not having to usually fuss and pay more on top for stands but does anyone know of short stands or tall plinths for floorstanders? I can't find anything anywhere.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. Mr Andy

Mr Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What's the room layout? It's fairly common to put floor standing speakers on slabs of granite. These are mostly only a cm or so, though you could use paving stones covered in fabric.

3. fallinlight

fallinlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Thank you for your reply. Room is large, rectangular. Quite open space. Speakers have fair room to breathe. 2 boundaries, at right, side surround and right, rear surround, which are partial walls, Seating distance approx 3 meters from fronts, 1.8 m from sides, 1 m from rears.

Yes, I've seen granite slabs used in many photos online. Yes, paving stones in fabric would be an option, as would need them raised about 10 cm.

Since my OP above, I've stopped worrying about this, though. And I might upgrade to the Gold 200 or 300 shortly. Currently, I have the Silver 200s. All of these models are taller. But, am between minds about keeping the Silver 200s, for various reasons. So, all good. I had also flipped my perspective, in that, I get the benefit of having the Bronze 5s at the correct level, because they are shorter than most/ many towers, and despite effort and or cost, I have the option to raise them as I please. So, it's better in that regard, anyway.

Interestingly, another owner said their sofa was at a seating height which places the tweeters of their Bronze 5s slightly above ear level. I'm perfectly content, now.

4. Mr Andy

Mr Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    To be honest I wouldn't expect that 12cm would make any difference at 3m as that angle is tiny.

5. fallinlight

fallinlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    High frequencies are the most directional, so direct firing speakers are very sensitive to placement. I notice a considerable and clear difference, across the frequency range and soundstage, and even slightly at 5 cm. This is the same for the Silver 200s, which gain more balance, articulation, clarity and presence, especially in the highs and upper mids, with the tweeters at ear level. Ironically, at present (not run in), I mostly prefer them sat with ears level with the mid woofer cone for the increased punch, though probably not reference.