Floorstanding Speakers with Sub?!? HELP PLEASE

alex9

Standard Member
Hi

I have a massive lack of knowledge for audio so please bare with me..
I really need some advice on my 2.1 bedroom sound system.
Currently, I have two 600w floorstanding speakers and an amp (pretty budget setup)
Here are the speakers and amp http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skytronic...omeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item232af92e24 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MyDeeJay-...-Disco-2-x-250W-Home-Stereo-Amp-/380527280360
I am not happy with the bass I am getting so want to add a subwoofer to the setup? Any recommended sub/amp?
How would I go about doing this?
Would I need a new amp for an increase in power?
I would be using the system entirely for music and want some nice deep bass for my hip hop. Would it be worth going for a bass cab/bin ?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you get an active sub with high level inputs then there is no need to get a new amp and you will have all the bass you would ever want. What budget do you have? The BK Electronics range would be a good place to start.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
That sub looks like a PA one so will not be very musical and does not appear to have the inputs you need. I would get something like the BK Electronics Gemini II if budget is tight. Or Wharfedale SW150.

alex9

Standard Member
Ah ok. All the sound systems I have seen that sound good have PA subs? Which inputs would I need?

alex9

Standard Member
Ah ok thanks, should I assume the amount of bass I get off the sub would correlate to the power (watts) of the sub? Or is that the wrong way to look at it?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Watts will give a guide but not the whole picture since figures can be easily inflated. Unless you have a massive room then something like the SW150 or Gemini should give you more than enough bass.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
They will be more than adequate for that sized room. However, it will depend on what you are trying to achieve. The 2 I mention will give a clean musical bass which will give better sound quality but if you are just looking for lots and lots of bass no matter how poor the quality then they may disappoint.

alex9

Standard Member
Ok great, thanks, I will most likely go with one of the subs you suggested however am going to continue to research.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
How much are you seeing that for? On google it seems to be over £400 and for that the BK XLS or Monolith range would be a better option.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
I had one of those Jamo subs and its pretty crappy to be fair.

I take it you're just looking for something that goes really loud and not overly concerned about sound quality. If so then just go for a P.A sub and 'try' and blend it in with your current speakers.

If you want a nice bit of SQ as well as something that goes fairly loud and offers a bit of low end then I'd suggest buying something like some Mission 702e's...Mission 702e Main / Stereo Speakers 5032180827783 | eBay without trying to dissapoint you they'd blow your current speakers to smithereans :cool:

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
I think you'll need one with high level in-puts with the amp you've got and can't see if that sub has them so it may not work in your current system.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I feel the MJ Acoustics Pro50Mk2 offers a fantastic sound and can be pushed quite hard once run in.

It offers both Hi-level input together with a single LFE input.

You can set the phase, frequency and level independently enabling you to marry it up to your speakers seamlessly. We've used these subs with many speaker combinations and customers have always been surprised by its ability to stay hidden in the system and only show itself when unplugged when the bass and top end frequencies just disappear.

Regards, Shane.

alex9

Standard Member
Thanks, and shane, although that sub looks really nice I think its a little out of my price change and not sure if it would pack the bass I require :/

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published