floorstanding speakers suitable for newbie

S

sillyboy

looking for floorstanding cinema package, i have seen Eltax Jupiter speaks for 99 bucks, but don't know if they are any good or not. If anybody has suggestions that wont break the bank and will sound good for music & movies, please advise. Bass is also required to destroy the neighbour!

Hi Sillyboy!

I have had the Jupiters for nearly 3 weeks now and they are working effortlessly with my Sony STR-DB1070 receiver. I picked up 2 packs of the Eltax brass floor spikes from Maplins online for the floorstanders (Richer Sounds carried no stock!) and this tightened up the bass no end. The floorstanders are so good that I am in fact now having to upgrade my subwoofer as a result!!!

For £99, given that you get a surround package for the money, this is a no brainer if you are just getting into hifi/homecinema. They sound great with my multichannel music DVDs. Was listening to the Chillys last night in DTS and I didn't even have my old sub turned on!

I bought them from Currys round the corner from me and even demo'ed them myself in store with the same receiver. Stand out test piece for me was Stereophonics - Pick A Part That's New, when it kicks in after a quiet intro.

They sound a lot better with the covers off and the cabinets are well finished. The floorstanders are worth the money alone IMO but then I do listen to a lot of music.

Ignore them and you're a silly boy!!

Hope this helps,

Alan

ps. I can demo if you live anywhere near Loughborough.

I've got a set of the Eltax Hollywood (5.0 system, two floor standers with built in passive subs, center and two surround rears).

Bought the set for £150 from Richer Sounds and they sound fine.

Recently bought my Sony STR-VA555ES reciver and thought I would upgrade the speakers as well.

Well, I got the Sony set up and the sound is just excellent even from what is classed as "budget" or "low end" speakers. The built in subs work as good as having a seperate active sub with careful setting up on the amp.

Sure, I could go and spend a lot more on a "proper" home cinema speakers system, but to be honest, I'm in no rush to do so as it sounds great as it is.

Cheers

Ian

hmmm the jupiter pack sounds good allan.it's a pity you are so far away cos i dont think my local currys would like me bringing in receivers etc.i will try them out anyway. whats the bass like from just the speakers i know this will have a lot to do with the amp, but just an idea would be nice.

cheers mate.

Hi sillyboy,

The receiver was on sale beside them on the same shelf!! I just had to take in some speaker wire and then connect my discman through the front av input.

They have oodles of bass especially since I have them setup in a narrow room (16ft x 8ft). They do boom occasionally when the floorstanders are set to large but this depends more on the source material I am playing than anything else.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Get some Mission M73's, excellent speakers, plenty of bass, and only £94 from richer sounds too.

Let me know how you get on

John

Originally posted by hunkiemunkey
Get some Mission M73's, excellent speakers, plenty of bass, and only £94 from richer sounds too.

Let me know how you get on

John

Yes but the M73's are £94 for just the 2 floorstanders.
Whereas the Eltax Jupiter's are £99 for a 5 AV speaker package or £150 for the Eltax Hollywood speaker package, so the Eltax are probably better for a HC newbie like me!

Going to have a look at those jupiter speakers this weekend. I just hope they go well with my receiver!

Hi, sorry to invade, but I too am looking for a decent and cheap package speaker package; and was wondering firstly where and what websites are the best places to look for them - in particular where have you seen the Eltax Jupiters for £99? Do they include a sub?

In addition does anyone have an opinion the Stargate (which has a sub) and Moviemaxx packages available from Richers at £110-120?

Or at about 30-40 more are the Eltax Starlight package, Limit HT5.1 and some other places are selling the Pioneer SV40S, and Yamaha NSP 220 in that price range.

Or am I better of getting a 5 speaker package and then a seperate sub.

Arrrgh, so many options!

BTW, the speakers will be going with a Pioneer 350/VSX-c300 package.

Thanx sillyboy, its quite frustrating, cos the more I look the more confused I become, but those pioneers look quite good at £160.

(Quite frustrating as I had £100 currys vouchers or I could pick up a pair of jupiters, but sold them for £80 - doh!)

Are floorstanders in this price range generally better or worse than a sub with satellites package?

it just depends, floorstanders are generally better for music, however taking into account that you may have a better system for music the sub/sat will be sublime for movies and dont take up much space. i know its confusing, if i had the c-300 i would prefer the sub/sat as it will all match up a 110 watt subwoofer will deliver fantastic explosions for your pioneer!

Thanks again!

I fancied a sleeker sub/sat package than floorstanders anyway; but again so many choices, eltax stargate/starlight; yamaha nsp220, your pioneer SV32 suggestion, and teac ls-5.1U.

ok good luck bigglesworth, but i think the pioneers are your best bet! I have a pioneer dv-444 fantastic player. Pioneer make stuff that lasts.

Comparing it to others it does have that 110W sub, and all the others only have about a 50-60W.

I am v v v tempted!!! Thanks for all that advice sillyboy!

Originally posted by iwatkins
The built in subs work as good as having a seperate active sub
Steady.

OK, OK, they work as well as an active sub in *most* cases....

They don't go as low as *some* active subs. But if you drive them with a decent amp. you will certainly get the thump in the chest just as good as any active sub I've demo'ed/used.

When it comes down to it, I can't have a throbbing big, mega low frequency house shaker as I have neighbours to think about. I have enough problems with the built in passive jobbies on the Eltax's. I've actually had to turn the bass *down* for the front pair. The house still shakes when the senators' ship overflys at the beginning of SW Episode 2. And that is enough bass for most people I would have thought ? Maybe I've just lived a sheltered life when it comes to home cinema ;)

Cheers

Ian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom