Floorstanding Speakers for...

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by ansaw, Feb 27, 2014.

1. ansaw

ansaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    an old set up, Rega Planar 3 / A&R P77 Cart, Quad 606 Power / 34 Pre & newer Marantz CD6005.

Looking for detail currently have B&W 603i floorstanders but feel I am missing something.

Any suggestions.....

Thanks

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    BUDGET?

3. ansaw

ansaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maximum £800.

Been quite tempted by the Castle Knights but do not know enough.

Thanks

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    You feel you are missing 'something', but what is that something you are missing? Different somethings have different solutions.

It is clarity? And are you willing to sacrifice a bit of bass to gain that clarity?

Is it bass that is missing? And are you willing to sacrifice small size in return for more bass?

Warmth? Crispness? Midrange presence? Hard driving bass? Balanced Bass?

Are their any restrictions on the size and nature of the speakers you are considering?

How big is our room? Closed room or open floorplan?

Also, where are your current speakers placed in the room? Placing them too close to rear or side walls an alter their sound. Typically bumping bass at the sacrifice of midrange clarity. So, room placement and room acoustics are factors in how your system will sound.

Also, Castle Knights covers a very wide range of speaker, could you narrow it down to the specific models?

Also, could you be more specific on the B&W speakers you have? The precise model number would be helpful. Are these your speakers?

B&W DM 603 S2 Floorstanding Speakers reviews - Audioreview.com

The more we know, the better we can help.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    My guess would be, clarity and tranparancy. You probably find that the sound localises to the speakers. Also the high notes seem to miss that airiness.

Transparancy is only achieved with better cabinet construction. The 603s belong the the entry level of B&W. At that price bracket, I find the Dali Zensors to be the only commonly known makes that have cabinets of that calibre. They do however lack dynamism. In fact, you will probably find everything missing compared to the B&W!

Its not make of speaker but range. Youre looking at the next range. The better cabinet constuctin means you hear the drivers more. So the same drivers will perform better.

Essentially, you're looking at things like the B&W CMs, Monitor Audio Silver RX, Regas, Focal Chorus, etc.

At £800 budget, you're looking at the big bookshelves rather than floorstanders.

6. ansaw

ansaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for everyone's comments. The speakers are in fact b&w620i which I have had for 18 years.
    I find the top end sometimes very aggressive whilst the bottom and a little lumpy without definition. I have liked this balance but feel it could be better.
    I am looking for a smoother sound and am also looking at an audio lab cd8200 to replace the Marantz which I have doubts about....I have lived with the Quad combination for 25 years and would be loathe to change.
    The room is a reasonable size with wooden floors. I would rather floorstanders.
    I was considering the castle knight 5's
    Thanks again for your advice.

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Though you can only give limited weight to YouTube videos, the two in the following link are reasonably well recorded. -

Dali Zensors 7 | AVForums

POST #18 - The Dali Ikon 6 are highly rated, far more clear and crisp without being harsh, priced at £1000/pr. The Dali Zensor 7 are also highly rated, very smooth, and priced at about £730/pr.

Superfi - DALI ZENSOR 7 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Dali Ikon 6 MkII Speakers (Pair) for £999.00 in Speakers

If you can find a pair to audition, perhaps the Dali Lektor 6 would be to your liking -

Dali Lektor 6 Speakers (Pair) for £799.00 in Speakers

At about £800/pr, another speakers that comes to mind is the Wharfedale Diamond 155 and 157 -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 155 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 157 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR)

The current Diamond series might not be the equal of the current B&W 600-S2 series, but your speakers are nearly 20 years old. Speaker series are constantly improving, so I would expect the Wharfedale to stand up well to your existing speakers. Clear, smooth, good bass, etc...

Though perhaps not to your style, but these Tannoy DC6T speakers are currently on very deep discounts -

Superfi - TANNOY REVOLUTION DC6T FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR)

If you want massive powerful speakers the price has come down on the Wharfedale Diamond 159 which have TWIN 8" bass drivers, priced at £850/pr -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 159 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR)

If you can push to £1000/pr there is an expanded list of very good speakers to consider -

Dali Ikon 6
    B&W 683 (original)
    Tannoy Revolution DC6T-SE
    Kef Q700
    Acoustic Energy 305
    Monitor Audio SILVER 6 (new)
    Monitor Audio RX6 or RX8 (previous)
    and many others.

Of those listed, in your price range, I would give the Dali Zensor 7 and the Wharfedale Diamond 157 or 159 a listen.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

8. ansaw

ansaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks you very much for your thoughts. I am quite tempted to listen to the Dali Zensor 7's given you comments. I will let you know. Cheers.