1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floorstanding speakers for £500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tom_nieto, May 17, 2004.

1. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It seems I have found a partner in crime to buy a projector with me, meaning I have a little more money to spend on my personal hi-fi.

Much as I'm tempted to ditch everything, it's just not possible and I don't have the money to spend on a completely new hi-fi. As I'm moving into a bigger house next year I want to get some floorstanding speakers (using my m72s as rears). I was thinking along the lines of mission m52/3 or the 782/3 if I can find them cheaply enough. Is there anything else worth looking at for about £500?

Do you think this is the right route of upgrade? As I say, I'm limited on the money front, and the next step after the speakers would be a stereo amp. Then I'd shell out for a nicer CDP. I don't think my m72s would justify having a separate stereo amp, and I think the Denon 3802 performs pretty well in stereo, and would probably handle larger speakers (at least til I can get a separate amp).

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    What about the M34/35 as they both come in under the £500 mark. If you are interested in replacing your centre You could look at the B&W 603.s3 and the LRC6/60/600 centre or I can recommend the Acoustic Energy Evo3 and center for both under £450 inc postage and are excellant with music and H/C IMHO
    ;)

3. bigscreencrazy

bigscreencrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :lease:

what about Eltax power tower pair of 300£.

4. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd really prefer to spend £500 on just the front speakers. I'm really interested in upgrading my pure stereo performance. HC would also get a boost with moving my current mains to the rear.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :oops: I didnt really look at the prices of the B&W's as the 603.s3's are £599 a pair. It might be worth you phoning :
    www.hyperfi.co.uk
    and see if they have any 782's or 783's left in the finnish that you want.

6. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will hyperfi send stuff out in the post, or do I have to go and collect? They're based near barking, so I guess I could tube it. I suppose I'll have to hope they still have some 782/3 in stock when I finally have £500 in cash!

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yup they do mail order but you have to phone em first. They have a tendancy to promise loads and not be able to deliver anything. :mad: Many times have i phoned to be told they have no stock :clown:
    Good luck with them. :beer: