Floorstanding Speakers for ~£250 - £300 price range

DaveyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently been wanting to upgrade my whole speaker and surround system, however I've had another think and actually my current parts are pretty good for what I need at the moment.

I've got an old Sony 5.1 Audio Reciever DE-875.
I've also got 3 speakers (a pair of Mission M7DS surround and a Mission M7C1 centre).

These were previously paired up with a pair of mission 77 series floorstanders, but these don't belong to me, so I'm looking to replace these with something of my own!

So, I've got a budget of around £250 to £300 to spend on a pair of floorstanding speakers.

I intend to upgrade to a newer AV Receiver in the future, but I need front speakers at the moment to actually use my current setup.

I'm not entirely sure how well my existing Mission speakers will stack up to a newer pair of floorstanders, but I've always been happy with how they have sounded, and I guess once I have a full setup again, I can worry about thinking of getting new centre and surrounds!

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Edit: Sorry, should have put this in the "What speakers should I buy" subforum, if a mod sees this please move.

Last edited:
You really want the front 3 speakers to be matching i.e. same make/model to ensure a good front soundstage. Hence I would look to replace the front 3 together or try to get a pair of Mission floorstanders that match your current centre.

Hi PSM1,

Thanks for the response.

Looking at a couple of stores, there's the Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanders that don't sounds that bad from reviews.

At £270 I could stretch and get the matching VC centre and then in the future get the matching rears if needed.

I'll have a look at what Missions are available.

Could it be that a ~10 year old speaker wont match up very well with something even from the same manufacturer?

Thanks,

Dave

You will have a hard time beating these speakers in your price range -

Superfi - TANNOY MERCURY V4 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR)

The only complaint I have about these speakers is that the matching Center is a little on the small side.

Superfi - TANNOY MERCURY VC CENTRE SPEAKER

If you can push over £300 then the Wharfedale Diamond 10.4 (2x5", 38hz) for about ~£329/pr with the mid-sized Diamond 10.CS Center (2x 5") costing about ~£120/each.

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.4 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

The Acoustic Energy Neo 3 are pretty well liked, and there are a couple of places that have these for just under £300 -

Acoustic Energy Neo 3 V2 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

The matching Center speaker is Neo Center V2 for £133 -

Acoustic Energy Neo V2 Centre Speaker at Audio Affair

The Neo 3 have good bass numbers, but not necessarily the best in their class, but those who have and have heard the Neo 3 say that the quality of the bass is one of its outstanding features. Numbers don't tell you everything. The Neo 3 speaker are rated at 43hz at -3dB which means the -6dB response is about 35hz, that's not that bad. Certainly a speaker well worth considering. I've never heard a bad word against the Neo 3 speakers.

There are other good options, but they all climb significantly above £300/pr.

These are all very common speakers and are available for many sources. The links I've used were strictly to illustrate the possibilities. A search of Google-UK Shopping might even find better price closer to where you live.

Steve/bluewizard

I'm going for the Tannoy V4 and a VC - will hopefully make a purchase in the weekend and let you know what I think! May get a pair of V1 if I can get a good deal together.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom