Floorstanders with built-in subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bbanduser, Apr 23, 2003.

1. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right,bought the Evolution ones from Maplin,but turns out that they were actually trying to sell Millenium speakers which had only 1 subwoofer rather than one in each of the two florstanders.

So I am back in the market for floorstanders(speaker packages would be ideal) which have a pair of subs in them.Budget is about £200-300.Any good deals around?

This is kinda urgent as I have sold my existing system and hence left without speakers..

2. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

I have got the Eltax Evolution 5.2's(FL+Sub,FR+Sub,C,RL,RR) bought from Richer in a deal saw in What Hifi i think. Including a receiver the price was about £250 ish, not sure if this is still on as it was a few months ago, might be worth checkin out the mag/Richer themselves.

The offer was only applicable if u showed the mag, as the speakers retail, in RS anyway, at £400, which is over your budget. If you can get the deal you can always try and flog the bundled receiver. When I got mine I purchased with a very capable Sherwood DD/DTS/PL1 6103 job. Worth about 180quid I think.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on

Cheers

Lippy

3. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just spotted your other thread ;)

I have been really impressed with the speakers, the subs really do make a difference films like Matrix, LOTR, Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan really kick some ass. Admitedly they are my first HC setup but I aint in a rush to upgrade for a while yet (still a student!)

If you need any more info give us a shout

Lippy

4. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Strangely it is not available anywhere else other than RicherSounds in UK.
    And it is £400 there!!
    Any ideas as to when this offer was available?
    Strange that they sell for £400 separately and £250 in the offer with an amp!

5. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah it was strange but very welcome!

The offer was on before just before Xmas but was not an Xmas sale per se, that is why I mentioned it.

Lippy

6. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Lippy(cute name).

I decided to buy a Mordaunt Short 908 floorstanders as it cost me £422 fom Discount Electrical.
    Richer sounds told me the Evolution was £400 so decided it was much better to go for Mordaunt Short.
    Thanks.

7. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I again decided to go back and cancelled the Mordaunt Short as Sigismund had an Eltax Evolution speaker set to sell,so i got it from him.

I have a question regarding this for Lippy or anyone who has used them - the subwoofer part of the floorstanders seem to set themselves off even when there is a strong bass signal(for example in the MTV BASE channel). Has anyone had any problems with it? For example,if the signal light is off and a strong base signal comes on, the signal light doesn't turn on.This is annoying.
    I have set the fron speaker to small,and the LFE crossover on the Amp(Denon 3802) to 120Hz and on the floorstanders the crossover is 250Hz.
    Anyone with any tricks to keep the subwoofer on all the time?Or am I doing something wrong????

When everything is working,the sound quality is quite good though.

8. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

My Amp (the Sherwood as previosuly mentioned) isnt as whizzy as the Denon you have, I cannot set the xOver etc, therefore I have the sub frequency on 250 and the volume at the level suitable for the room. I have noticed that sometimes the subs are a little lazy in switching on this I have narrowed down to a couple of things.

1) The DVD, whether the subs stay on is very much dependant on the DVD being watched, clearly some bass shattering movies keep the subs on all the time, however other films have the subs flicking on and off. That is annoying!

2) The master volume level, I have also found when watching films later at night, so as not to keep the house up the subs are quite sensitive to the master level being too low, so they flick off sending the bass to the speakers over the sub. Again pretty annoying.

The solution, which I am still playing with is thus. Set the sub volume on the amp to say +10db, then alter the subs volume *on* the sub down so that the quality isnt adversely effected. This pushes more signal to the subs from the Amp, reducing the chances of the sub autoswitching off.

I hope this helps, like i say I am still trying to perfect it, you will have more tweaking options with the bass management on the Denon. Let us know if u find any improvements etc

Regards

Lippy

9. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lippy,did what you suggested - put the crossover to 120Hz,made all the speakers small,increased the sub setting on the Denon to max and reset the sub vol setting on the speakers and the speakers are not dropping off that much anymore.
    Thanks for the help.
    But I still can't understand why there is no option to keep it on always.Beats me really.Why do I have to depend on the preference of Eltax guys? Ihad the Eltax Atomic 10 sub and that had a button which allowed me to always keep on the sub(alternatively I could toggle it to turn off when there was no signal).I think that was more sensible.

Anyway,quite happy with the speakers.Looks quite good and also sounds good.

Any special positioning you found which gives better results?

10. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thinking about this, there must be a way of bypassing the circuit that keeps turning the sub off when there is no signal. If Eltax implements it in some of their subs(like the Atomic A10),there must be a way of doing it in the other ones as well.

Some guys here are really into the technical side of it,any ideas from you folks??

11. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE - positioning, I haven't really got the room to meddle to much with positions just using the gospel 5.1 approach

FL --------TV---------FR

RL---------------------RR

I am pleased with the looks and quality too - I am defo not in a rush to upgrade til the rest of my components need upgrading ie TV, DVD amp etc. Next on the cards will be 6/7.1 sound, when I finish uni.

Cheers

Lippy