1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

floorstanders vs speaker stands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mobily, Feb 5, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I am interested in peoples different opinions on whether floorstanders or speaker stands are the best type to have. I always thought that floorstanders look as though they mean business but in smaller rooms do they sound terrible?

Peoples thoughts and opinions are welcome,

James :)

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    If the room is very small, a big speaker full stop will sound poor whether it is a standmount or floorstander. For example a Rega aria floorstander (really very small indeed) will sound less intrusive in a small room than some of the big standmounts (even my own MS912's that I currently use for stereo work). If space is very tight an infinite baffle speaker may be the best option as they can go right up against a wall and radiate out- check out NHT for some of the best infinite baffle speakers I have ever heard.
    I prefer floorstanders for my fronts- this is as much to do with decor as sonics although some of the very best (and indeed most costly) setups, use the same standmount all the way around for a very even size indeed.