• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Floorstanders or Bookshelf

cameleyes

Standard Member
Hey,

Just moved house - room 5.5 x 4.5m

Been reading, thinking and reading again about home cinema setup. Was going 5.1 but now have been thinking more and what with my son, new baby on the way (cables and speakers to knock over) and overall costs have come round to thinking a stereo amp and 2 speakers - for music,tv,films rather than an av receiver and 5.1 setup.

I don't need to shake the walls - as we have young ones and also neighbours below with not too much sound insulation in between us.

Would a couple of bookshelf speakers suffice? I've been happy for the last few years with a technics mini system so you can see where I'm coming from - although obviously I'd like to improve. I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand cambridge amp and then the speakers new or 2nd hand depending on costs.

Budget probably around £200

Wharfedale 9.0 and q acoustics 1030s seem to get good marks.
Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

PSM1

Distinguished Member
For your limited budget a stereo amp and pair of speakers will give you the best sound quality. Floorstanders will go a little deeper in the bass department so if you have space for them I would get them. By the time you have bought stands for the bookshelf speakers they will be almost as much as the floorstanders and just as unstable when the little one starts to walk around (infact they are probably less stable). The Wharfedale is a great speaker for the current price but I would really try to get the 9.1 or above as the 9.0 is quite small. The QA is also a good speaker at a currently discounted price so also worth a look.

cameleyes

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply.

Makes sense about the stands.

This might sound quite daft but Instead of stands can a bookshelf speaker literally be put on a shelf?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Despite their name they do not tend to like being put on shelves as the sound from them tends to get transmitted into the shelf itself which is not good. You can buy isolation cups to put under them which can help but stands are much better.

cameleyes

Standard Member
1 last Q.

Is it best to connect to stereo amp by twin phono from tv or the headphone jack 3.5mm to twin phono?
Wondering if there is a difference, reason I'm thinking is not all stereo amps have remote via the headphone jack I can use tv volume. Maybe you can do that anyway via the phonos?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom