1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floorstanders on Wooden Floor

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stevearliss, Apr 18, 2005.

1. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use 2p coins to protect my wooden floor from the speaker spikes. I seem to remember somebody recommending concrete slabs at one point; any other thoughts?

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Unless the coins are introducing some sort of acoustic problems, there is no wrong with coins.

Usually the concrete (or marble, granite) slab is for acoustic issue rather than the protection of the floor.

If you are looking for a cheaper option than the 8 X 2p coin solution, perhaps some carpet off-cuts could be used . :rotfl:

3. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have expanded on the concrete idea. The speakers are being moved from downstairs floor (wooden floor laid on concrete) to an upstairs room (floor boards on beams) and so I thought that the concrete or similar would help reduce vibration etc due to the flexibility of the floor.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK.

Using the concrete slab can be used to control a "boomy" bass that may be introduced in such situations. It is not guaranteed to work, but using a cheap paving slab is an easy way to see if the principle has an effect.

In addition to the one under the speaker, another slab can be placed on top to "mass load" the speaker. If there is an improvement in the bass, then the cosmetics of the concrete slab can be changed to a professionally cut stone (granite, marble, terrazzo, limestone). It doesn't matter, as long as stone has some weight.

But first of all you need to see how the speakers will react in the room, and then we can look at what "tweeks" are available to help control any little nasties introduced.

5. Yak

Yak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From my own experience, I can thoroughly recommend slabs under speakers - the improvement bass control was not small (and at 98p each from B&Q its not financial ruin if you don't like them). It helps if you put a towell or something similar under them whilst experimenting with positioning - you can slide them around much easier without ruining the floor

Hope this helps

Yak

6. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers; I'll definitely give the slabs a go once the room is finished.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    are using coins to protect a wooden floor better than using the rounded end of the spikes (sonically rather than protection wise)?

8. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi just a quick question. I was thinking of looking into suppyling 'Corien' slabs. The reason being. They are available in colours to match the floor. They are a man made resin / stone and are very tough. Also talking to a guy today from Corien he was saying that they have good acoustic propertys and mission and another speaker manufacturer (I cant remember the name) use them in there top of their range speakers. Only downside they are expensive as Granite but more durable and look much better and are available in many colours. My question is do you think they would be popular ?

colours

[​IMG]

and this is a pic of a corain speaker by mission:

http://www.glacieraudio.com/new Glacier Audio Site/Products folder/Gilmore/Gilmoreaudio1.htm

The panel is made from Corian® and is
    essentially non-resonant at audio frequencies.

9. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IMHO

Popular - No, Niche market - Yes. Whether that market is big enough is the ?

Wish you all the best.