1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floorstanders on carpet

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CharlieNash, Dec 19, 2002.

1. CharlieNash

CharlieNash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone here with floorstanders and carpet floors, what do you do? Just leave them on the carpet? Or put a small square block of wood under them? Or some other hard surface?

Does it make the sound any better?

2. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would use spikes to load the speakers to the floor, if you have floorboards under the carpet instead of concrete then you could try a paving slab or similar between the carpet and speaker to see if this improves stability.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just use spikes, check they are long enough to go through to whatever the floor is made of. Wood floors tend to give a more bass sound, whilst concrete offers the opposite.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Spikes are ideal.....failing that there are things like Torlyte speaker platforms,but very expensive compared to good old spikes!
    Also,if using spikes,level the speakers carefully,and be sure the spikes are firmly bedded into whatever surface is under the speakers,and check again after a week or two.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Spikes are ideal.....failing that there are things like Torlyte speaker platforms,but very expensive compared to good old spikes!
    Also,if using spikes,level the speakers carefully,and be sure the spikes are firmly bedded into whatever surface is under the speakers,and check again after a week or two.

6. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine spiked on carpet, have found you get better sound from a good axminster carpet, heaps better than the nylon ones. Have a look in Allied Carpets or Carpet World. ;)

7. Geoffrey Shrek

Geoffrey Shrek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are they with carpet tiles?

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just normal spikes on my floorstanders, the weight of the speaker should be sufficient to drive the spikes to the hard surface, here's a piccy of mine with quite a thick carpet and underlay to get through, it's more than stable enough.

Phil

9. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly with heavy floorstanders spiked through carpet into a wooden floor, the spikes will gradually sink into the floorboard/parquet or whatever. How far depends on how hard the surface is. There are a couple of things you can try to avoid this, you could place a sheet of something like mild steel, say 18swg or so under the carpet where the speaker is going to sit. Alternatively you could try the suggestion that Gordon makes in THIS thread... :)