1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floorstanders not on floor?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Marvt74, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Marvt74

Marvt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Would it make any difference to do this?

As i have a kitchen style worktop in my room whereby theres a shelf pretty much all around and thus no floorspace.

So was wondering if the could go on top op the worktop, or would that bugger it up as the cones would be considerably high?

2. Bobby Luvin

Bobby Luvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Floor standers must be kept on the floor otherwise you wont feel the same bass effects and the sound quality will be subsidised. Maybe invest in some bookshelf speakers?

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I would be surprised that you would lose the base effect as long as the worktop is very sturdy.

It is recommended for any stereo speakers that you have the tweeters at approximately ear level when in your normal listening possition. In a lounge this will normally be seated and so a floor stander is roughly the correct height when seated but in a kitchen? are you going to be seated listening to them or is it mainly for when you are on your feet? (in which case a floor stander would be technically to short anyway)

The best thing to do IMO is to listen to them "correctly" (ie on the floor & you seated), then on the floor with you doing what ever you do in the kitchen and finally with them up on the work surface. That way you can tell firstly if they suit the room at all (generally floorstanders need a lot of space to avoid a booming base) and secondaly if you are loosing too much by having them off the floor.

As Bobby Luvin suggests a pair of front ported standmount/bookshelf speakers may suit the room better but it is all a question of personal taste.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Stick a bit of foam or cloth on top of the working surface and then turn the floostanders upside down on top of the protective material. Check carefully for absolute stability, then enjoy. The tweeter will have been brought down to your ear level. However wierd it looks! :eek:

If you plan to lay the speakers on their sides then you may not get decent stereo. If you are going to lay them down then make sure you have either both tops or both bottoms nearest to each other. Rather than one of each. Which might give some very odd effects.

If you intend to put your speakers the right way up, but well off the floor, then just get a tall bar stool to perch on so you are near tweeter level when you are listening.

It's an imperfect world and we just have to make the most of what we have. I've used a kitchen myself as a listening room when I was young and poor. My wife prefered TV in the living room to listening to music most of the time back then.

Regards
    Nime