1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floorstanders in Maplin electronics shop.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sapper44, Aug 30, 2004.

1. sapper44

sapper44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Called in Maplin today for a nose around.They are selling floorstanders for £50 a pair.They are made by Eltax I think they are over 100w speakers with binding posts.Have looked on their site http://www.maplin.co.uk/ and they have floorstanders for £39.99 90w they are different ones cant find the ones in store on the site.The ones in store had 2 big speaker domes and 1 small dome or tweater.Could these be any good.

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The could be, but my suspicions are they they won't be. If you're on a really limited budget I would suggest trying for something second hand rather than buying these,

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    Tom's right. I would generally say that at below the £500-600 mark floorstanders are not worth the bother. If your budget is under £100 then as Tom suggests I would look at getting a decent pair of secondhand bookshekf speakers. We recently had a traded in pair of Quad 10L sepakers going for £100, a cracking buy considering they were £700 new.

4. sapper44

sapper44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I'm not looking for anything at the moment.Thought it might help others out who are on a tight budget and are looking for cheap speakers.The thing is with Maplin is you get a 2 weak money back no questions asked.

5. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I bought the Eltax Atlantis 5 speaker package from Maplin a few months back for £55 delivered and I'm very pleased with it. However, I use it in my flat at low volumes (real bass not allowed due to neighbours) on the few ocassions that I've turned it up the sounds gets a little harsh and the centre is just too weedy. So I think it depends on the application you've got in mind.

Richer Sounds had Mission 73 floorstanders last time I looked for £100 if you want half decent entry level floorstanders that would be the minimum. They'd also a better % resale value than the Eltax. Why not buy 2-3 different models under whatever 1-2 week money back schemes you can find.

For Hi-Fi I'd agree with the comments above that bookshelf speakers would be better performers at your price point (there are some great used bargains out there) but you would still need to budget for stands. For movies then budget floorstander do have their place in budget systems without subs.