Floorstanders for rears?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dodgy_Geezer, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hi all,

Currently have Missions M74 fronts and standmounted Mission M70 bookshelf speakers for rears perched atop a pair of silver Ansa 100's. Am thinking of replacing the rears with floorstanders. The bookshelf speakers are fine and do the job perfectly however, I've yet to see any bookshelf/stand combination that looks half decent aesthetically.

Although stands look fine on paper, once you stick a speaker on them I think they lose their looks with wires trailing everywhere and the speakers looking like real mooses, taking up space and glowering down at the sofa. I'm sure many will disagree but this is just my thing! Wall mounted is not an option.

Am looking to replace with floorstanders and would like opinions as to whether this is a good idea or if I should just stick with the mooses. The room is a large 20" x 20" affair so it will lend itself well to floorstanders and they would need to have front firing bass ports as they'll be right up against the back wall. Would floorstanding rears provide a good soundstage for HT?

Anyone have any recommendations for some good, tall floorstanders that look the part and won't break the bank? As they will be used for rears, budget would be cheap as chips.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dodgy Geezer