1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floorstanders cause AX10 shutdown

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tomatosauce, Dec 12, 2004.

1. tomatosauce

tomatosauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a AX10, and bought gallo reference 3 speakers but had to return them. The would cause the amp to shut dowm at high volume - about -7 on the scale. I've tried B&W 703's, but got the same problem. Can anyone recommend a good pair of floorstanders at about £2000 which actually work with the AX10? What is causing the problem??? I've tried a pair of £5000 studio monitors from a friend and these work fine - surely I can find something hifi for around £2000?? :lease:

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Did you try changing the setting on the amp to 6 Ohms to help with the load?

I can recommend the JM Lab Electra 926, worked just fine with my 2011.

3. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    hi there i own ax 10ai and have no problems driving b@w cdm7nt floorstanders perhaps the amp is faulty ps i have had volume to +5

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yep, i'd suggest there may be an issue with the amp.

5. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I had a sony amp once that kept shutting down at a certain level.Turns out a stray wire on one one the terminals was touching the other.

Maybe you v'e already checked this just a thought :)

Its just the amp is such a monster, I find it hard to believe that its have trouble running the b&w's.

6. tomatosauce

tomatosauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've checked all the cables like a million times, and even new interconnects and speaker cable (in despiration). I'm not aware there is a facility to manually change the impedence to 6 ohms on the AX10 (NOT AX10i). The thing is, I'd be sure there was something wrong with the amp, if it wasn't for the fact that they drive my friends monitors all the way up to +11 without cutting out. I have heard that the 49tx (similar model in the states) had problems with shutting dowm at v high volume with particular speaker brands. Has anyone specifically tried the B&W 703's or gallo reference 3's without problems? I'm going to try a pair of Spendor s9's on the weekend - does anyone have those without a problem? Thanks for your posts.

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Bleh, I had a look through the manual and I can't see a 6 Ohms option, sorry about that, my 2011 has it.

I don't know about the Gallo but the 703 shouldn't be shutting down, they aren't that hard a load. If there are definitely no stray wires it sounds like your Ax10 has a problem and needs looked at.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to agree with Daneel the B&W Speakers should not pose a problem to the AX10 and more than likely the amp has a fault with it!

John

9. tomatosauce

tomatosauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I get the AX10 checked? Pioneer said I need to send it to their headoffice, and that they don't approve their regional service centres to work on the AX10. Is there an alternative to pioneer? & is it a good idea to let anyone else touch it??? - Although as I said, it worked fine with my mate's speakers........

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume the warranty is now not valid? the only real option is to send it back to Pioneer or someone that they have recommended and let them check the amp for faults, it may not be what you want but if they can sort it for you wouldn't it be worth it... :)

John

11. tomatosauce

tomatosauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, suppose I was hoping someone was going to say "oh, the AX10 always has a problem with the 703's" and then I'd know my baby was OK!!!!