Floorstander upgrades and speaker brand mixing...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by HCK, Jun 24, 2015.

1. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Hi,

I have recently moved house and turned the living room into a home cinema room. I previously had a converted cellar in my previous house, but we now have a 22ft x 16ft living room....so more than enough space.

I am wanting to upgrade my floorstanders, I currently have Mission 77C1 centre, Mission M53 Floorstanders, Mission M7DS rears, BK Gemini 2 Sub. The reason for the upgrade is I want the floorstanders to have a bit more bass due to the bigger room, as I also listen to music with the floorstanders. I was looking at the Monitor Audio BX6 for the upgrade but wondered about timbre matching etc. Would there be a massive difference in tonal matching if the front soundstage are from different manufacturers ? My fronts and centre are Mission but from different ranges and I have been happy with them but curious to get peoples opinions on getting tonally matched speakers.

I have tried upload my living room photo but it keeps on failing, I shall try again later on tonight.

Cheers.

2. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Managed to upload photo :)

hcr.jpg

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Personally I would always want matching speakers so would get the BX centre at the same time as changing the fronts.
    Your centre is not in an ideal location as it is not going to sound its best in the cabinet like that. You would get a good upgrade in sound quality by mounting it out of the cabinet. It is also a bit low as well at the moment.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    Have you tried moving the Sub into a corner of the room - that will give the LF a bit of a lift.

Centre - agree with PSM if you are going to make a change across the front of the system aim for a matching set, I'd even suggest starting out with a 'Phantom' Centre if that helps with the budget.

Joe

PS Screen - needs an iron :)