Question Floorstander upgrade

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by springtide, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Hi...

After some advice..

Looking for an upgrade for my KEF iQ7 which I have owned for a while.

I have a 7.1.2 setup, although the .2 is in the making as have the upfiring Onkyo Atmos speakers.
    I've recently swapped out my Onkyo amp for a Denon x6200; movies are very good, just the is a lacking in the audio department.. the iQ7s can sound fantastic, but other times they just really lack any bass, especially with indy rock. I had put it down to av amplification, but my dad has bought a pair and even with nice valve amplification, he still says they are bad shy. I did audition the iQ7s, (with the 9s) and they sounded ok in the shop, but have always been a bit lackluster.
    The rest of the speakers are MA Radius 225HDs, which I have been impressed with, and a MA bronze sub.
    The other annoying fact is the shape of the tops of the iQ7s, where the Atmos speakers can't sit properly.

I seem to have a liking to MA, so the obvious choice seem (in my mind), the MA Silver 8 (or RS8, RX8) and I have been looking secondhand.. but they are rare.. so might have to buy new.
    So if I'm having to buy new, and I don't want to make a second mistake with lack of bass, I'm now thinking I should go for the Silver 10s maybe?

The room is about 5m x 4m, with the speakers facing the longest length.

Anyone have experience with the silver 8s or 10s? Or maybe there are other floorstanders I should be looking at?

Thanks

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,676
    I wouldn't worry about lack of bass, not with a 6200 and good sub, the 6200 handles bass, especially musically very well. Run 2.1 for music and you will not be disappointed. What you should be considering is keeping the front three speakers at least from the same manufacturer and preferably from the same model range, especially if you want to listen to music from a good 5.1 source.

The 6200 has a lot to offer musically, it's detailed and agile so would benefit from speakers with that same ability. Using upfiring speakers, although I cannot vouch for the Onkyos, add terrific front height from 5.1 sources on concert videos via the upmixing qualities of both Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X.

There are plenty of good floorstanders available but just be careful they don't over power or mis-match the timbre of your existing centre.

3. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Thanks for the info.

I will admit I don't go a great deal on multi-channel music, and actually prefer a 2.0 setup; my initial impression of multi-channel is "wow", but its not long before I'm looking for the stereo setup.

I also prefer not to use the sub for music; I think its partly my sub placement (its slightly tucked away on one side of the room), and partly that although bass isn't that directional, its directional enough to be noticeable at low volumes.

I think better placement and the additional of a second sub would help, as would probably a sub(s) upgrade, but space is limited and well as there being an escalation of cost.

I think if I can get the two main speakers right, then I'll not have to worry about the rest.. well not for a while. I guess if the centre is overpowered, then I'll just need to match that with the fronts.

The other aspect of the fronts is that the Onkyo (which work well enough, just lacking good Atmos content), but the tops of the iQ7s are not flat so placement of the Atmos speakers means they have to be shifted to the back and I think then a bit too close to the wall. They sound better when further forward, balancing on the iQ7s dome! (not ideal)

So think as I like the MAs, I'm in the market for MA Silver 8 or 10s

Thanks again

4. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    The Silver 8s are around £1100 and the Silver 10s around £1350 - so somewhere around there. Ideally I'd want a bargain S8 or S10 secondhand, or maybe something better for the new price.

I think the iQ7s when I bought them were around £600, which would make sense since the Q700s are around that price

5. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    I don't particularly like active speakers, so that is not a route I'd ever consider.

6. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    THX is a meaningless standard for audio quality and is handed out to even the most crappy of audio equipment.
    Pro audio is about quantity not quality, which is why even the so called "premium" cinemas have horrendous audio.
    There is nothing wrong with passive crossovers at all, yes they waste energy, but it doesn't matter in a home situation.
    I already have a £500 active subwoofer with digital crossover; the bass is fine for movies, but not what I would called refined and controlled.
    Frankly all a £200 active speaker would do is annoy the neibours, but just slightly less than it would annoy me!

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,676
    Old thread here that you may find interesting reading:
    Monitor Audio Silver 8 Vs B&W 683 S2 Vs Focal Aria 926 Vs Kef R500

I like a good looking clean speaker and the Silver 8s are certainly easy on the eye. Reading the comments on bass they may very well suit you, whereas they would annoy the hell out of me, my KEF R300s deliver just the right amount of bass for my ancient ears but there again I probably have a better choice of music........Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, etc, etc.;)

Go and get a couple of auditions, nothing like listening to different speakers back to back and in the £1000 to £1500 price bracket there are some really good speakers out there. I suppose you could scour the for sale sections to see if you could pick up a pair of KEF R900s, now they would give you plenty of bass but are probably as rare as rocking horse poo. BTW, I don't like active speakers either.

Happy hunting.

8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,676
    I don't like them full stop. I don't like the way they look. I don't diss them each to their own. I've spent a fair amount of money building a system that suits me. I'm never going to buy any and I'm not prepared to enter into an argument about the pros and cons of them. Even the OP has said he's not interested so why persist.

9. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Thanks for the link... Interesting reading.
    I think I've now ruled out the the silver 10s as I think they'll be too bass heavy.

The iQ7s really suite the music you mentioned above; great fit for acoustic especially if there is a double bass lingering in the background; I have been very impressed with the KEF UNI-Q drivers and tempted by the Q900s as the r900s are just silly money.

I think a demo is in order.. just wanting to if possible buy s'hand, and I don't think it's best practice to demo in the high street then buy elsewhere

10. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,676
    This might tempt you
    KEF Q900 Floorstanding Speakers

The KEF R300s really suit the music both myself and the wife like. They can play loud when they want to. It may not suit you but one of the best and loudest blu rays we have is the DTS-HD MA of the Moody Blues Lovely to see you live. Really gives every speaker a severe going over yet it's as clear as a bell.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Stop it, I've ready seen this offer.

Might look at more reviews of the q900s, just can't get my head around the fake drivers (ABRs) ???

12. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    I kinda figured that one out; I looked at some reviews last night and the negatives are what you would expect from the design.

13. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    Well, I went with the Silver 8s and no regrets.

I think S 10s would have been too much for the room (5x4m)

Now to run them in (and tidy cables!)

DSC_0001.jpeg