1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floorstander recommendations: ~£400?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by comatose, Dec 7, 2003.

1. comatose

comatose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I'm in the market for some new speakers and hoping for a little advice to put together a shortlist. I currently own a Pioneer 812 Receiver and a pair of ageing Mission 701s and I intend to purchase some new floorstanders, then use the 701s as rear surrounds.

My initial thoughts were to get some mission floorstanders like maybe the M35s in the hopes they'd be a better match the rears, but through all my searches on the net I haven't found any opinions of them.

My intentions are that the system will be a good balance for movies and music, my budget is up to £500 max. What do you think?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    To be really honest I wouldn't bother with floorstanders at that sort of price. The only exceptions would be maybe the Acoustic Energy Evo3s or the B&W 602.5. Generally though you'll get a much better quality speaker at around £400 by looking at the standmounters, check out the Mission 780SE @ £350, the Quad 11L @ £380 or the Monitor Audio silver S2s @ £380. Another £100 for a good pair of stands and you're sorted. For floorstanders I would stick to the £700-800 price points and upwards.

3. amordue

amordue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dunno, the JM Labs new Chorus S line are very good and I believe the 714S are £399 a pair. They are a very well rounded package, sat and listened to them for around 2 hours on reasonably priced kit (£350 amp, cant quite remeber what it was) and a fairly cheap nad cd player agian around the 300 - 350 mark.

They have a very full sounds with no area being particularly weak. The bass was excellent very tight, and plenty of it, with no "boxiness". The treble was perhaps a little too laid back , yet they still felt very dynamic, it was quite strange listening to a speaker which was very dynamic yet laid back; long listening sessions would not be fatiguing.

If you can find a local retailer they are definitely worth a few hours of your time.