Floorstander recommendation needed...

gava

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello, just looking for some advice for my next system upgrade - very much in exploration/research mode at the moment.

Assume no issue with power - the amplifier will have minimum of 200W/8Ω, and 350W/4Ω.

Looking for a set of floorstanders. I do have a sub, but would prefer to set that quite low at a crossover of 40-60Hz or even not need it at all.

Must be 3 way.

Price would be between £5k-£8k. Obviously I will ensure I do some auditions after lockdown.

I enjoy all kinds of music, but the majority is classical and classical/electronic crossover, the rest very mixed, the speakers should be good for everything ideally.

Current list in order of attractiveness to me from reviews/tests/specs I haven't heard any of them though I have heard/owned lower end models from most:
1. Revel F226Be (7k)
2. Dynaudio Contour 60i (8k)
3. Dali Epicon 6 (8.5k, but 20% discounts available)
4. Focal Kanta No2 (7k)
5. Sonus Faber Sonetto VIII (5.6k)
6. B&W 804 D3 (7k)

Anything obviously missing from the list?

Four names that I would have on the list would be -

PMC Twenty5.26 - transmission line bass
ATC SCM40 - mega detail, sealed cabinet, probably the best mid driver around at the moment (3" dome)
Spendor - D9.2

Proac are also worth alook butn the closes true three way is the K6 which is double the budget.

As always, try and get a home demo, your ears, your kit, your room, you decide whats right for you.

Would need to know the size of your room and it would. be a must to matching the amp carefully with such expensive speakers.

The amp will likely be one of the new Purifi based ones. Probably Nord, but maybe NAD M33.

The room is slightly odd shaped, but the main space is perhaps 6mx9m.

In your signature you already seem to have the KEF LS50s so perhaps a look at the Reference 3. Oh dear, just look at their price they have rocketed up in cost. The only one in your list, well close I suppose, that I've listened to is the Dynaudio Contour 30i in an audition room. Wonderful open sound. Was being driven by one of the big Chord amps.

I keep looking at the Special 40s. I just keep reassuring myself that there are no pockets in shrouds. I envy you sir, you do have an awful dilema.

In your signature you already seem to have the KEF LS50s so perhaps a look at the Reference 3. Oh dear, just look at their price they have rocketed up in cost. The only one in your list, well close I suppose, that I've listened to is the Dynaudio Contour 30i in an audition room. Wonderful open sound. Was being driven by one of the big Chord amps.

I keep looking at the Special 40s. I just keep reassuring myself that there are no pockets in shrouds. I envy you sir, you do have an awful dilema.

Yes the Ref3 would be very nice I'm sure, I really do like the upper range of the LS50, and they are really cool nearfield too. :) Alas the Ref3 are out of my price range though.

ATC SCM40 - mega detail, sealed cabinet, probably the best mid driver around at the moment (3" dome)

Hmm, those look quite interesting actually. I don't have any objection to spending less. :)

I’d go straight for these.

And perhaps a used Lyngdorf 2170, using the digital output to drive the internal active amps directly.

And therefore adding the massive benefit of RoomPerfect to active speakers.

Going by the reviews and comments on here the ATC SCM40’s are a bit marmite, love them or hate them. They are brutally detailed and transparent, if you have a bad recording or source it will tell you. Plus the bass is not so deep but very dynamic being sealed. They also like a lot of power, the Purifi Nord Monoblocks will give you one of the most revealing setups around I think. If this is your thing then it may be a winning combo.

I have always though a valve preamp plus a class D (NC500/400 or Purifi) power amp would be an interesting mix, all that lovely 3D soundstage from preamp pushed into the speakers with out anything added by that class D with enough power and dumping factor to drive most speakers. Maybe one day.

I’d go straight for these.

And perhaps a used Lyngdorf 2170, using the digital output to drive the internal active amps directly.

And therefore adding the massive benefit of RoomPerfect to active speakers.

Or with the miniDSP SHD as streamer/Dirac?

Yes the Ref3 would be very nice I'm sure, I really do like the upper range of the LS50, and they are really cool nearfield too. :) Alas the Ref3 are out of my price range though.

From a shop with some guarantee! Just a tempter!

Or these beauties

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Or with the miniDSP SHD as streamer/Dirac?

Indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed what even the early versions of Dirac were capable of. A little tweaking and it really is good.

But I’ve found Lyngdorfs RoomPerfect to be the better of the two.

EDIT.

However, I haven’t owned or even tried the latest versions of the miniDSP SHD, nor the latest Dirac versions.

I used the original 2.0 version of Dirac with a DDRC24.

It was top class to my ears before I bought the 1120.

Last edited:
Ps, should I ever get to the 8 grand or so speaker budget, the XD 60s would be my first choice.

I do love the Dynaudio sound and I’m a confirmed active speaker fellow.

The idea of a three way 8 x 150W, amp active, sealed box floorstander with the calibre of the reputation of Dynaudio behind it, and with the classic lines of the 60 appeals to me rather massively.

After reading this thread I mentioned to the wife about the Special 40s. No pockets in shrouds I told her. To which she replied that if I spent £3K on speakers that shroud will be needed quicker than I thought.

Ps, should I ever get to the 8 grand or so speaker budget, the XD 60s would be my first choice.

The idea of a three way 8 x 150W, amp active, sealed box floorstander with the calibre of the reputation of Dynaudio behind it, and with the classic lines of the 60 appeals to me rather massively.

I suppose I should also add the Buchard A700 onto the list in that case.

I particularly like the look of the white ones.

I’ve also read a fair few always positive appraisals.

Firstly, any recommendations are pretty meaningless, as you need to find one that you not only like the look of (if that’s important), but one that works with the amplifier you’re going to use (and will need to work well with Class D, based on your suggestions). They’ll also need to work in your listening space, and that’s on top of whether you’ll actually like the sound of them or not, so it’s not something you can buy blind. What you’ll be able to audition will be dictated by what’s available to you locally, so the best thing to do is pop into a dealer or two and ask what they suggest to get an idea of what might be suitable for you.

The important part though, is listening with the amplifier you’re going to use, and listening in your listening space.

Firstly, any recommendations are pretty meaningless, as you need to find one that you not only like the look of (if that’s important), but one that works with the amplifier you’re going to use (and will need to work well with Class D, based on your suggestions). They’ll also need to work in your listening space, and that’s on top of whether you’ll actually like the sound of them or not, so it’s not something you can buy blind. What you’ll be able to audition will be dictated by what’s available to you locally, so the best thing to do is pop into a dealer or two and ask what they suggest to get an idea of what might be suitable for you.

The important part though, is listening with the amplifier you’re going to use, and listening in your listening space.
Yes, looks do matter somewhat. It's why I have always been wary of B&W - they strike me as almost unbearably ugly. I've not listened to high-end ones, but the times I've heard the 600 & 700 series I've not been blown away.

I imagine the Purifi amps sound (or rather don't) very similar, and with NAD using them now it should be easy-ish to get a dealer to set one of those up for a demo.

Best of course is to listen in my home, but I would really want to try to get it down to a shortlist of 2 or 3 before that, firstly by reading and getting advice here, then by listening in the showrooms.

I doubt I will easily be able to get 6 sets of speakers delivered and returned - though perhaps the shipping costs will not be that significant as an overall percentage with the sort of speakers I am now contemplating.

Last edited:

I've only had one pair of actives, but I kept them for 30 years because they were so incredibly useful. I have only just relegated them now to a box in the garage since I have setup my LS50s on my desktop.

So I do see the appeal. :)

One more to add to the list and very sensitive so wouldn't need a new amplifier.

Spatial Audio X5 - no UK distributers as far as I can tell so would need to import direct. Approx 6.5k

Anyone heard these?

Not mine but there is a pair of Spendor floorstanders on the classifieds at a big saving over the new price.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom