1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flooring

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by adi, Jul 10, 2003.

1. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im about to start a massive spate of re-decoration throughout the house, culminating in a total overhaul of my living room into a more "home cinema" friendly layout.

i know the "cons", byt i want to lay a solid floor for appearance. My floor is asphalt - i was going to lay laminate flooring on the green "fibreboard" underlay, but for a more natural effect, could i just use plain old floorboards, either oiled or varnished - would they lay ok without being fixed down ??

adi

2. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Adi I would think floorboards might warp if not fixed securly. Unless of course you went for expensive wood. You can get more expenisve laminte flooring that looks like the the old parquet (?) flooring etc.

I have just put lamintae flooring down (on top of the green underlay) in my living room, which is also our home cinema room. Since doing this I am struglling to get the sub sounding as good as it used to. I guess this is down to losing the carpet and replacing it with the hard reflective laminate.

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree. New floorboards would need at good 2 months inside the house to acclimatise, and do all their shinking etc - even if they are seasoned. They will also (unless ££££) tend to curl up a bit. We have had this problem, and the boards were securely fixed (secret nailed avery 6 inches or so). If they're going to shrink, they'll shreink - securely fixed or no.

Reclaimed old boards might be OK, as they will have done all that years ago, but may be more expensive, and may need a lot of cleaning up. In a heavy traffic area, you may have problems with the varnish wearing (whatever it says on the tin!).

What about reclaimed parquet? Might be expensive, and you may need someone in to lay it though.

Re laminate - my main prob with this stuff (and we do have some), is the "clip clop" noise you get when walking on it - good underlay should minimise this - perhaps buy a sinlge pack of laminate and try it out. Some friends have just had "solid wood" planks layed down - posh laminate in all but name - and that clips and clops pretty badly (IMO). A solid rather than suspended floor underneath may help in that respect, anyway.

HTH