Flooring dilemma

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having a new kitchen fitted in a few weeks and the flooring (inc. floorboards) is also being replaced at the same time due to a leak from my washing machine. As the kitchen and living room are kind of open plan, I'm tempted to floor both rooms which are separated with an archway with the same flooring to give a sense of space. I am going to go for Pergo laminate as real wood doesn't seem to be any good for a kitchen. At present the kitchen has some cheap B&Q laminate and the living room is carpeted.

I like the idea of having the same flooring material in both rooms and like the look of a wooden floor but am loathe to muck up the sounds. Has anyone fitted a hard flooring surface e.g. laminate, real wood, tiles etc. and regretted it and has it ruined your acoustics?

The living room has a large sofa, a few prints on the wall, curtains and I would be looking at putting a rug down anyway. I'm tempted to carpet the living room again with good quality deep carpet but I will admit it would look better with the same flooring all the way through.

I have asked my kitchen fitter to do the laminate at the same time but I don't know whether to just get him to do the kitchen or go the whole hog and do both rooms.

HELP!!

I'm having a new kitchen fitted in a few weeks and the flooring (inc. floorboards) is also being replaced at the same time due to a leak from my washing machine. As the kitchen and living room are kind of open plan, I'm tempted to floor both rooms which are separated with an archway with the same flooring to give a sense of space. I am going to go for Pergo laminate as real wood doesn't seem to be any good for a kitchen. At present the kitchen has some cheap B&Q laminate and the living room is carpeted.

I like the idea of having the same flooring material in both rooms and like the look of a wooden floor but am loathe to muck up the sounds. Has anyone fitted a hard flooring surface e.g. laminate, real wood, tiles etc. and regretted it and has it ruined your acoustics?

The living room has a large sofa, a few prints on the wall, curtains and I would be looking at putting a rug down anyway. I'm tempted to carpet the living room again with good quality deep carpet but I will admit it would look better with the same flooring all the way through.

I have asked my kitchen fitter to do the laminate at the same time but I don't know whether to just get him to do the kitchen or go the whole hog and do both rooms.

HELP!!

I have wood lamite floorinfg and its killing my acoustics. Stick with carpet , my floor is coming up as soon as I can afford

Last edited:
Carpet will definitely be better for your acoustics, but difficult to comment on the look without seeing a plan, or as Liam G suggests a picture if you have it. How wide is the arch from the kitchen to the living room?

Unfortunately I don't have any pics as I'm at work for the next couple of weeks. The archway is 1.5m wide. I'm more than certain that the room would look better and the wooden flooring throughout would give it a better sense of space but it's the acoustics I'm concerned about. I have obviously invested a few £ in my system and don't want to have to rectify any acoustics issues with rugs etc. that will cover up an expensive and hopefully nifty looking floor.

Can anyone convince me that an engineered wooden floor won't sound echo-ey and ruin the sound?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom