Flooring Advice please.

funkyspider

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Right, I'm getting to the stage in the building work where I need to be choosing flooring. I've knocked through between the kitchen and the dining room as the kitchen was too small. The lounge/dining room are already knocked through.

I think I'd prefer carpet in the lounge area, but I can't decide what to do.

Should I go for all wooden flooring right through. This is my least favorite, I'm not keen on wooden floors in the living room, most people cover them with a rug anyway.

AllWood.jpg

Or carpet the living room and go for wooden floor from kitchen through to dining room

KitchenDiningRoomWood.jpg

Or carpet the living room and dining room and just have wood or tiled floor in the kitchen area. If I do this I'd probably be better off with tiles, but would it look daft 'cutting into' the dining room area ?

KitchenWood.jpg

Onto the wooden flooring. I've been told by someone about Bamboo floor. The strand woven one is supposed to be the strongest - has anyone used it ?

I have a dog, which will be quite amusing with wooden floors, but he's getting older now and isn't quite as manic as he used to be tearing around the house, but I want something which isn't going to be scratched by him. I don't wear high heels (honest) so that's not a problem.

Any help or suggestions are more than welcome - I thought I dithered when choosing a plasma, but that's nothing compared to the number of times I've changed my mind about this lol.

If this would be better in another forum feel free to move it.

Cheers
Martin.

imo the option of carpet everywhere except for the kitchen area looks best, but I'd probably cut the wood on a diagonal where it meets the carpet.

A friend of mine has bamboo flooring (not sure if it's woven) and it has scratched badly in some places, and it is very obvious because of the contrast between the natural colour of the bamboo and the colour of the surface.

Here's another option for you...

DSC02483.jpg

DSC02479.jpg

It's wood...or is it? Actually, it's a Karndean floor. It's made of a plastic that is laid down as individual planks. It gives the look and texture of wood but is hard wearing, washable and we're really please with ours.

www.karndean.com

And here it is all finished...

DSC02575.jpg

DSC02667.jpg

I have Karndean in my office and my entire downstairs is Amtico (another variety).

Superb floor, absolutely bullet proof and you can mop it also, not the cheapest option though.

Here are some pictures of mine. I only have pics to hand of it with random crap on it.

IMGP5382.jpg

IMGP5380.jpg

IMGP4581.jpg

:rotfl: That dog one is great.

+1 for Karndean. We've got hall/living room done in it (about 40m2). "Australian Walnut" - dark, but suits the areas. Very hard wearing, easy to clean, etc.

I was thinking of having wooden flooring in my home office but not sure how the chairs would cope with it as they are on casters ?

Looking at the Karndean it's only a few mm thick. This would be going down on old floorboards which aren't the most level surface in the world. Would I have to lay a marine ply base on the boards before laying the Karndean ?

Carpet all the way, wooden, plastic, laminate flooring (anything that is shiny and gathers dust bunnies) is just not stylish anymore.

Yes, ply would go down and then the boards are glued on top.

It really is bullet proof. On the Amtico downstairs my dogs run around on it all day, hardcore full fat, not even a scratch.

Amtico is the same flooring they use in Marks and Spencers, Woolworths etc.. it comes with a 25 year guarantee also, it is rated as the best.

Carpet all the way, wooden, plastic, laminate flooring (anything that is shiny and gathers dust bunnies) is just not stylish anymore.

I do like carpet in the lounge, but its obviously not practical in the kitchen area unless I look at something like this

http://www.heuga.com/InterfRoomDisplay/uk/categoryId/11053

Having the kitchen/dining room in the same flooring would make it appear as one space, so the kitchen would appear bigger ?

I'm not really very good at this interior design lark lol. I should give Sarah Beeny a call !

I should have given some idea of scale.
The front room area is 16x17. The dining room area about the same, the kitchen was 11 long by 7 wide until the dividing wall came down opening it up into the dining room so I'm not actually gaining any real additional kitchen area as such, just taking the units along the back wall into the dining area rather than them running down either side of a narrow kitchen.

I did a similar thing with my kitchen. The dividing wall came out to make one space about 22x20, having the same flooring opens it up.

Personally I'd have wood or Amtico style surface the whole way through and then a nice big rug in the lounge if you want a bit of warmth.

It's easier to keep clean, reduces allergies, more hygienic anywhere near kitchens and dining room (food falling off the plate, wine on the carpet etc.).

But it's personal preferences.

May I just add that Karndean and Amtico are both warm floors. Not cold like wood or laminate.

You can also use Karndean in the kitchen :D

Photo0092.jpg

God, I feel like a Karndean salesman.

Let me hide the girlfriend first.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom