1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floor stands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by chubben, Aug 19, 2003.

1. chubben

chubben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning on building a pair of stands for the surround-speakers and am wondering

Will 2cm particle board suffice? I have some left over from another project.
    MDF would probably be better or hard wood but since I've got the particle board I thought I'd give it a try.

Now, would this be satisfactory or should I use some other type of isolation with it as well?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It should do the job fine.

Make sure you make the stands easy to fill with something to deaden them and make them more stable.

Apparently lining then with carpet and filling with plaster 'dust' is th ebst for deadening them. Otherwise something more conventional like lead shot will do the job great.

3. chubben

chubben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info!
    For the stands themselves I plan on using 30x30cm particle board for the bottom plate, and 20x20 for the top one (which the speakers rest on).

Between them I thought of something like a PVC tube, ~80cm, and filled with sand maybe..

It should suffice I hope? It'll be cheap too :D

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    How are you going to join the tube to the plates?
    At that height you will need quite a large diameter tube (soil pipe) or more than one for stability.

5. chubben

chubben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was thinking around 6 - 10cm for the pipe.. and a threaded bar in the middle... if that's necessary. Also isolate the pipe with silicon, or similar, on the inside...

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Good idea. If you use a Tank cutter,you can cut the diameter of the pipe into each plate a few mm deep, to slot the tube into. The pilot hole for the cutter can be used to feed through the threaded bar. Then secure the 2 plates top and bottom onto the pipe. All you will need to do is recess the holes in the plates for the securing nuts. The bar can be trimmed flush afterwards.

This is a tank cutter. 5" diameter max though.:)

Attached Files:

7. chubben

chubben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great idea! I saw one of those cutters at a 'DIY-Store' here in Stockholm.. cheap too. Might come in handy in the future as well.

I'll post some pictures when it's done.

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    1 really important bit of advice, clamp the piece down and cut very slowly. I nearly ripped a finger off with a tank cutter. Bone deep cut and now have a nice 1 inch scar on my digit. The tools aren't dangerous I just did not pay attention.