Question Floor standing speakers to accompany arcam alpha 8

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Dek, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Dek

Dek
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, just bought an arcam alpha 8 amp and cd 2nd hand. Want to get

Floor standing speakers mid range price
    Interconnects between amp and CD player

Any advice please. Play wide range of music from dance to indie, rock etc.

2. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What sort of sound and tone do you like? You will need to try a range of speakers I suspect to get a good handle on the sound you want. If going second hand then you may want to hunt out an older pair of Mission speakers but you would have to pick carefully as a lot of their newer and cheaper speakers are not great. I would consider looking at Tannoy DC6T (should be able to get hold of a decent pair at a cracking price now they have been discontinued) or the newer Revolutions, Dali Zensor and perhaps the Monitor Audio Silver 6. Richer Sounds appear to have £100 or more off a lot of those speakers so you could be looking at the Tannoy Revolution 8 XF for less money than the MA Silver 6 so they could give you a deeper bass response. The Arcams do tend to sound a little warmer so pairing them with the Monitor Audios may not be a bad match. Try those for starters to see how you go. All are under £1000, assuming this is the sort of budget you consider mid range. :)

3. Dek

Dek
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cribbster. I have Tannoy M3 Floorstanders with them at the moment. So your suggestion of Other Tannoys feels a good idea. Will see what the sales are offering.

4. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Not sure if you are still in the market, I had tannoy m3's and an arcam alpha 7 CD player and then bought tannoy dc 6t se speakers which were a step up above tannoy m3's which are over 20 years old as a design now. I had the m3's with the cherry fronts which admittedly looked good. You will find newer designs have much more detail and the m3's are flat sounding and lacking detail comparatively. I heard my old m3's (my brother in law still has them) against my pmc's and night and day.

The above said things have moved on since the tannoy dc6ts and you can get better speakers for the same price.

If you went for the tannoy xt6f or xt8f around £1000 or £1200 respectively I think you'd get a good proposition in these speakers.

However I'd go one better for similar money; I've heard the xt6fs and kudos speakers are better for the money, and huge amounts of clarity on offer. If you've got audiophile amps in the arcam gear, I'd not go down the route of tannoys, nor the basic monitor audio or dali route which are sold mass market in richer sounds but aren't really as good sounding as the following more audiophile brands at these prices;

- kudos x2, usually £1500 but audio t selling an ex demo pair for £1k Kudos X2 speakers | Kudos Audio | Audio T

You'd probably get a warranty as bought from a dealer. I reckon you'd get these for £1250 new with a dealer discount. Try Ripcaster who sell the full range of kudos speakers. A very well used pair in mint condition probably £500-£600 and £400-£500 with maybe getting £100 on your speakers.

- neat motive sx2 £1257 ex demo Neat Acoustics Motive SX2 Speakers | Neat Acoustics | Audio T

- pmc twenty 23; lintone audio were selling these for around £1300 which is basically just over half price. Now new they were £2400 when pmc made wood pairs (they have just stopped making wood ones given the new Twenty5 series has replaced the twenty series) and for the money, you won't get a better small big sounding floorstander speaker new at £1300 no way. Maybe Lintone have sold out now? They suit rock and indie a lot.

Hope helps