Floor standing Speakers Recommendation for NAIM 102/180 setup

Justinthyme84

Novice Member
Reaction score
First and foremost this is my first post so would like to say hi to all.

My current issue is I've decided to purchase a Naim 102/180 setup but I'm struggling to find speakers. Mainly as I am not sure how to work out the impedance or sensitivity needed to drive the speakers.

I have read that PMC, ProAc, and Totems are good, etc but are any particular models that stand out? I have been looking at Linn Keilidh/Ninka, Neat Motive SE2, and B&W DM603 S2.

Is anyone able to tell me whether my setup would be capable of utilizing these speakers to the best of its capacity?

TIA :thumbsup:

Hi. I run Neat Motive SX2 off a Rega Elex R. There not a challenging load and anything over about 11 O'Clock on the volume pot ia far too loud.
Sweet sounding tweeter too. Not fatiguing in anyway, making longer sessions a doddle.

My current issue is I've decided to purchase a Naim 102/180 setup but I'm struggling to find speakers. Mainly as I am not sure how to work out the impedance or sensitivity needed to drive the speakers.

I have read that PMC, ProAc, and Totems are good, etc but are any particular models that stand out? I have been looking at Linn Keilidh/Ninka, Neat Motive SE2, and B&W DM603 S2.
Is there any particular reason you’re choosing the older model rather than a Naim XS3 which is probably a better amp? One box versus two.
I’m driving a pair of 20 year-old B&W CM4s which are equivalent to the 704s. Naim amplification deserves better than the 600 series.

Consider the 704 or perhaps the 703 depending on budget. What is your source?

I read a few reviews that the 102/180 coupled nicely and they were in my price range. This is my first setup I don't think they are too bad to start off with. I will mostly be playing rock/metal vinyl.

Ill check the 703/4's out

@Justinthyme84 , I’m not criticising your choice. All Naim is quality kit. But the XS3 does have a very good moving magnet input. I had a home demo of the XS3 and Supernait 3 and couldn’t tell them apart so saved 1300 quid and went for the XS3. Good luck with your research.

Last edited:
The preamp has the NA522 phono boards not sure if they are the same or similar.

Neat and Naim are supposed to partner well.

I've heard the SX1s with Naim amplification, very detailed yet not fatiguing sound.

I read a few reviews that the 102/180 coupled nicely and they were in my price range. This is my first setup I don't think they are too bad to start off with. I will mostly be playing rock/metal vinyl.

Ill check the 703/4's out

Before you shell out the cash, I’d check to see if and when they’d been serviced. They are ancient.

If they haven’t been serviced, or not for a long time then they are likely to sound like a bag of spanners compared to say a 5i or similar.

If you can, for a similar budget a Nap 150X and 122X would be a better buy.

Last edited:
Also, if you’re anywhere near here these will be a good match for Naim.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom