Question Floor Standing Speakers: Positioning Dilemma

Betanski

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently spent a considerable amount of money upgrading my home cinema set up, notably by purchasing a new AV amp & surround speakers. To fully compliment my speaker set up I'm now wishing to purchase a new set of towers for my front stereo pair.

Unfortunately, due to the dictated ergonomics of my listening room, I have had to raise the height on my current set of front towers (via a pair of 1 foot high stands), so that the speaker cones are not shooting directly into the side of my sofa. My research shows that because of the height of all the available tower speakers I'm interested in, any new floor standing towers would also have to be raised off my floor by approximately one foot.

With this background in mind, I'd like to know if there is anyone on the forum who could maybe suggest the most appropriate way of raising my new front towers to maximise their efficiency under such "not ideal" conditions.

I thank you in anticipation.

...suggest the most appropriate way of raising my new front towers to maximise their efficiency under such "not ideal" conditions.

I don't think you have an alternative to using stands if you wish to use tower/floorstanding speakers (unless there's an 'extra height' model out there). Wasn't so long ago when 20 - 40cm stands were common place, beneath speakers such as the Mission 770, Spendor BC1, Celef PE1 etc. (alright, maybe it was a long time ago). I guess there aren't many speakers with similar physical proportions on today's market and therefore probably not many stands of around 1 ft high to choose from - there are one or two though:

If you can't find the ideal stand, you could task a carpenter to knock up a bespoke pair.

I imagine you've considered modern standmount speakers? Some of these could work well in your setup and there's a large selection of stands in the 60 - 1000cm height range to choose from. Something like the Monitor Audio Silver 100 would do a fine job and probably provide more 'slam' than many/most tower speakers. There aren't many passive standmount speakers with large 8" bass/mid drivers, like the MA Silver 100, but there are lots on the active speaker market - and you'd get even more 'slam' with actives - though I imagine you wouldn't want to go down that path?

I would try and avoid using an enclosed hollow space if possible as this will affect the speakers "perceived" bass reply..
stilted or solid plinth would be a preferred method to raise these to avoid changing the sound (as shown with dogfonos's example with those linton heritages)

I don't think you have an alternative to using stands if you wish to use tower/floorstanding speakers (unless there's an 'extra height' model out there). Wasn't so long ago when 20 - 40cm stands were common place, beneath speakers such as the Mission 770, Spendor BC1, Celef PE1 etc. (alright, maybe it was a long time ago). I guess there aren't many speakers with similar physical proportions on today's market and therefore probably not many stands of around 1 ft high to choose from - there are one or two though:

If you can't find the ideal stand, you could task a carpenter to knock up a bespoke pair.

I imagine you've considered modern standmount speakers? Some of these could work well in your setup and there's a large selection of stands in the 60 - 1000cm height range to choose from. Something like the Monitor Audio Silver 100 would do a fine job and probably provide more 'slam' than many/most tower speakers. There aren't many passive standmount speakers with large 8" bass/mid drivers, like the MA Silver 100, but there are lots on the active speaker market - and you'd get even more 'slam' with actives - though I imagine you wouldn't want to go down that path?

Thank you so much for your helpful reply.

I would try and avoid using an enclosed hollow space if possible as this will affect the speakers "perceived" bass reply..
stilted or solid plinth would be a preferred method to raise these to avoid changing the sound (as shown with dogfonos's example with those linton heritages)

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom