• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Floor Standers - Sound Quality and £ ?

deaf cat

Hiya,

Speakers are one area that I have not looked at yet on the upgrade side of things, any pointers much appreciated.

I gather that with cdp's if you get a good one around the £400 mark sometimes you have to go to £1k+ to get a decent improvement.

I took my £300 bargin speakers along when demoing AV/power amps, 5 hours later once decided, I asked the sales assistant what floorstanding rears would I be looking at to match the fronts sound wise, 'Mission *** speakers' he said and 'How much would they be' I asked expecting the £150ish but he said £900!!:eek:

I know naturally I need to go and demo, but was just wondering if mine sound like they need £900 rears to match them, what price would I be thinking of to upgrade the fronts.........£1.5k...?

hmmmmm or maybe get a decent DAC.........

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
not exactly sure what you are actually looking to buy here?

you want floorstanding rear speakers? why?....only reason to have them is for multichannel music, even then most people use standmounted models set to small on the a/v amp.....

if your fronts only cost £300 (i assume brand new) then you only need spend around £150-200 most likely on rear speakers!.....unless for some reason your front speakers were actually £1,000 models originally...then you might want to spend more.........

if you wanted to buy £900 rears tho, yes tbh you need fronts worth around £1,000-1,500 for it to be worthwhile... (as a general rule of thumb that is, not a strict limitation)

as for DAC, thats generally for stereo purposes you buy offboard DAC, not surround sound.....

deaf cat

Sorry:rolleyes: - confusing everyone:eek: !
, just thinking of upgrading fronts for stereo, and if they sound like £900 speakers at the moment (thoughts of stereo shop assistant) would I be looking at £1.5 - 2k for a decent improvement? A bit subjective I know and I'm sorry but just after a really rough idea.

Or would I do better demoing a DAC (£1-2k) instead......

Just trying to get a general feel of system balance, eg. 1/10 on cables, like you said £900 on rears and £1.5k on fronts. Just a rough guide line, speakers cost in relation to DAC's, or even amplification to DAC's.....any comments?

Cheers:)

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
did you demo your fronts against some £900-1,000 front speakers? or was you just taking the salespersons word for it? altho a lot of salespeople in hifi are honest, there are still some unscrupulous ones who might be trying to get you to spend more money than you need....

i'd suggest you demo your speakers against various price models and when you notice an improvement worth the money, go for it........

as for the DAC, what CD player and amp do you currently have? if they are both budget price then no point just buying an expensive DAC as the amp might negate any gains.....

listing all your equipment, make and models will be useful :)

deaf cat

Knyght_byte said:
did you demo your fronts against some £900-1,000 front speakers? or was you just taking the salespersons word for it? altho a lot of salespeople in hifi are honest, there are still some unscrupulous ones who might be trying to get you to spend more money than you need....

When I first bought them I demoed £250 pair (new), £300 (end of line I believe), and a £500 (new), the £300 pair won hands down.
Only took the sales persons word for it (different shop), he seemed ok as he only suggested slightly higher price amps when I had ruled out all that he had at the figure I first told him.....so who knows!

Knyght_byte said:
i'd suggest you demo your speakers against various price models and when you notice an improvement worth the money, go for it........

Yep! Agree!

Knyght_byte said:
as for the DAC, what CD player and amp do you currently have? if they are both budget price then no point just buying an expensive DAC as the amp might negate any gains.....

No cd player I'm afraid, I've a squeezebox!
I see where you are comming from I suppose in the eyes of some people my source and amplification are sort of on the 1st ish rung. However I looked into IC's a while ago and went somewhat over the recommended £1/10 as I just kept on hearing improvements the further up the £tree I went. And went I did! Never expected the outstanding results just from a IC.

Knyght_byte said:
listing all your equipment, make and models will be useful :)

Slimdevices Squeezebox :smashin: (was £195ish) ->
Arcam AVR200 :) (was £800) pre-outs (for stereo) ->
Rega Maia3 :D (was £500) ->
Floorstanding Ditton AV3's :thumbsup: (were £300)

Hope this gives you an idea as to what I'm listening to.
Went through a load of amps, and now have gone through a load of cables, bit light on the speaker and DAC experience.
Cheers!

S

SKA.face

I think you can do ALOT better,I'd look at some Totem florstanders for fronts about 900,and miteds for the rears,or the Neat Motive range,900 for Mission rears:rotfl:

clarky78

Er, the Elegante would be more tha £900 the e82 is it or e80s?

Hmmm, my £330 Missions are still giving my (still knackered) IQ7's a run.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom