Question Floor Speaker Cabling Issues

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by PAR, Feb 13, 2018.

1. PAR

PAR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am not exactly sure where this question should go so I figured I'd put it here.

Long story short (I'll try):
    Building a house. When the framing went up I wired everywhere I could think of that I might possibly want a speaker.

In my main living area I am putting together a home theater system. I ran a group of 3 wires under the floor to where it will come out where the furniture will be.
    • (1) RCA Subwoofer wire
      • My thought was that if I wanted a subwoofer in the living area sometime in the future I would already be wired for it.
    • (2) 12AWG Speaker wire
      • I also thought that my side Right/Left channel speakers would also be wired under the floor, come out under a couch/chair/table (some furniture)
    I hate wires and want to hide them at all cost.

Next week the electrician is finishing up and will be putting an outlet with a floor box near where I want these wires to come out.

I also need to bring these 3 wires up through the floor so that they can be connected via banana plugs to the passive side Right/Left channel speakers (I wont be doing a sub here for awhile if ever).

Researching a "floor box" to do this, all I could find were boxes that have XLR connectors on them, nothing with normal passive speaker connections:
    I have no idea if I'm going about this all wrong or what but I don't see an option for an "XLR to Banana" type adapter OR if that's even what I want to do.​

Any and all suggestions would be wonderful!

Thank you!

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    No replies to date....how is the house-building going ?
    Whilst XLR's are the choice for any portable audio-gear, for speakers; look at Speakon - these are a chunky plastic with large terminals and some employ twist-lock - so they can't fall out when the volume's UP.

Don't understand AWG ( know what it means... just unfamiliar with sizes). In general, the more copper the better . . . try normal house-wiring:- ( in the UK we operate a 240v "Ring-Main", using 24Amp cables... this our 2.5mm sq. Twin and Earth ( the earth is a lesser thickness ). 2.5T&E is surprisingly cheap..... compared with genuine "Speaker Cable" which is a rip-off IMHO.
    However, T&E is solid-core, so OK under floors, or as wall-drops, but not good if the speakers need to be moved. ( cable is too stiff )..... then you could use a genuine Speakon cable that's ready-made.... if the wall/floor cables are terminated in a suitable junction box.

The trouble with any home-build is that you never know what you will need in a few year's time. So, it might be prudent to connect the junction-boxes with trunking - then you can pull-thro' another cable later . . . but make sure the pipes are large enough! ----and rodent-proof!

Hope that helps, but maybe your time for change is already passed???

Cheers...

3. PAR

PAR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wow thank you so much for replying! I had given up on this thread.

I have decided to just pull the wire through the floor and use it when needed instead of trying to come up with some kind of junction box solution. The wires are long enough that I shouldnt have an issue. If I ever need to come up with a "connection" solution I'll deal with it at that time.

Thank again though! Love this community :)