1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floor mounting Barco 708

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sammy Jankis, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Sammy Jankis

Sammy Jankis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I'm going to be moving home soon and will be changing my projector position from ceiling to floor. I am going to order a cabinet to house the projector and protect it from my two year old.

I was wondering if the projecter will need to be as far from the floor as it is currently from the ceiling or if needs to be more raised than that. I assume you don't just plonk it on the carpet but also that it is not a couple of feet high either. The cabinet will be custom built so I need to work out the dimensions.

I am also taking into consideration the need for air flow and sound damping, any tips in these directions would also be helpful.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sammy

2. Lux In Umbra

Lux In Umbra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Sammy,

The main consideration is where it is in relation to your screen! It must be within a certain (small) distance of the location recommended by the lens program (or the projector, if its got that function within).

Only if the screen was the same distance above the floor as it was below the ceiling would you use the same height off the floor as your previous distance from ceiling.

If the screen is moveable/not a problem, position the projector high enough off the ground that it wont get bumped, but low enough not to get in the way of everything or inaccessible for callibration.

I have mine on cabinets, higher than I'd like - but I have a high screen. When projecting from below (ie table-top,etc) remember that the light from the projector will reflect off the screen and onto the ceiling, which can be a problem if the ceilinig is white, and the screen close to the ceiling.

In terms of sound damping, just make sure you dont let it overheat. (And remember the general airflow {and noise} direction - back of pj to front). Not a major problem if you have aircon/cool house/climate, etc.

PS: Also note, if you are changing distances/angles/etc, and you've been using the projector a long time, then you may need to move it further back to get the active area within the worn phosphor area on the tubes (the shape of which will depend on the amount of keystone used, etc).