Floor Mounted CRT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GarryF, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I've had a NEC 9PG for about 18 months now and recently moved house so had to pull it off the roof of the room it was in.

Doesn't look like roof mounting is an option for me now, I was wondering if anyone has any good info on floor mounting of projectors, housings etc. I thought I could make a nice table like box with a hinged front panel, what about noise and cooling ? I know that the best seating position would be to either side of the projector.

Hum, other option is to get a bulb projector but I think I'd just end up seeing problems in the picture instead of watching the movie.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really sure but I beleive that floor mounting actually improves the noise from a projector. It's bound to be cooler than at the top of a room where the hot air is rising to.

The only other thing I would think is make sure the table and projector are well bolted down. The chances of being knocked and the resulting problems would be quite high.

If you are doing a permanent floor mount would you beable to ventilate it from below, cut a hole in the floor and stick in some sort of air filter? or duct to an outside wall?, if you close the back of the cabinet then the sounf will only escape towards the front of the room. Could also insulte the insidde of the cabinet to further deaden the sound.

Lastly, get some shin pads, if you have a nice, big,. solid projector and table on the floor you could be in for a few bruised shins!

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No ooooooooooooooo!

It kind of depends on your other furniture but from what I remember of the NEC it has need for fans at front and what will now be bottom of the projector.

I would look around the furnature stores and see if you can find an enclosed coffee table and cut some holes where the light and air need to go.

I don't think you would need to deaden the sound any more.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Quadraspire do a CRT table that looks great. It is in Harrods and Nottingham HiFi on dem. Not cheap but looks very good. I am reliably informed they will custom hame them for me / you for a 9PG dimensions. From memory £900 - £1000. Last time I checked their web site there were no details but I can post you a copy of their brochure if that helps.

5. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna do some plans next to see what kind of screen size I get relating to the table location.

6. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I had to floor mount my Marquee due to the fact that my room is height restricted and ceiling mounting wasn't an option.

I had a coffee table / cabinet made by a local pine workshop.As I have a wooden floor I put beading around the cabinet and nailed that to the floor so it won't move.
    Just allow for plenty of air circulation as you don't want to cook it.
    Kevin

7. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a Selco 400 floor mounted at first I put it on a box and then sat a coffee table around it so that if the table was moved the box was not.
    I found it more noisey and hated the seating position so I put it up eventually

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with Jeff. I've witnessed a few floor mounted jobs and found them more noisey. Don't forget that the best seating position would generally be quite close to the PJ.
    When sitting, a ceiling mounted projecter would be further away hence audibly quieter.

Eric

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm now looking to build (or rather have built) a "Coffee Table" or cabinet for my PJ. I currently have a BG801S but I'm already intending to go for an 808 in around 18 months so any solution would need to be appropriate to both. My room has some special problems. The bottom of my screen can be no less than 22 Inches (26-28 would be better).

I'm intending to have an 8ft image on the 801 and 10ft when I switch to the 808 but the bottom height will have to be the same.

I was thinking in terms of a custom made stand for the PJ that will allow for height & tilt (yes, I will need to tilt:() adjustment. I also thought that a flat bottom to this would do less damage to the carpet when I have to move it back for the larger image.

A separate "cover" heavy custom coffee table to sit over the top but would not physically touch the PJ or it's stand. Obviously I need to consider ventilation.

My starting consideration is... How low could a BG801 be to give a good image at 8ft wide. I know there are Calc programs out there for optimum positioning, but the feet of my PJ being at 22" wouldn't work too well in a 46" room so lower and tilted is my only real solution.

Is it possible to buy a floormount kit for a Barco?

Anyone any ideas/input here? No Ceiling mount options in this room are possible.

Cheers,

Mark.

10. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mark
    the idea of stand the CRT on a box and cover with coffee table worked fine for me with my 400 but noise was a factor as I had to sit directly behind it.
    I never had any convergence issues nor overheating but the resulting coffee table I had made in our joinery dept was large - for an 801/808 it would be larger still.
    Sorry to break in the thread but I read the other day you can do a mod on a Radeon to make it 5x BNC rather than using a breakout cable- are you doing it commercially and if so I would like to know the costs as I am keen on this to go with the H3D I just bought.
    Cheers

11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am concerned about this, although the 801 is surprisingly quiet.
    The height does concern me which is why I wish to set it lower but tilted, I know this isn't ideal, but neither is the effect of watch the screen from behind a tall box.
    Not me I'm afraid. I've no experience modding PC cards at all.

Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.