Floating walls, plasterboard walls & network cables...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by parrish, Aug 28, 2013.

1. parrish

parrish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,

After reading these forums for a few years now, and after being inspired by other people's ideas (notably Groove & Al Briscoe) I've decided that it's time to dive in and build a floating wall and run ethernet cables around the house.

I'm a bit stumped about how to fix my floating wall frame to the wall. The wall is plasterboard on brick, with studs around 1m apart. I've tapped my way all across the wall and the only solid sections I can find are at approx 1m intervals, which I assume are the studs. I've drawn my frame onto the wall and am considering cutting out the plasterboard wall where the frame will go and fixing together two pieces of baton to create a ticker frame which is fixed directly to the brick. is there a more reliable/tried and tested method?

I'm similarly stumped by how to fix the TV bracket to the wall. I'm going to get a bracket similar to this: Super sleek swivel bracket - large (A423ABLK) Is it best to fix it to the plasterboard, the frame or directly to the brick work?

My final question revolves around the ethernet cabling. I want to set up a network to run Cat6 cable from behind the floating wall, from my office and other rooms to a central point (understairs cupboard). I really don't want to pull up the carpet, underlay, gripper rods and chipboard flooring (I don't have traditional floorboards, but large chipboard sheets which would mean pulling up half the floors in the upstairs rooms). What I do have is a horrible artex ceiling downstairs, which I'd like to remove (i.e. rip out completely) and replace. I thought this might provide a good opportunity to run the ethernet cables across the rooms - has anyone ever tried installing cables from below before? Is it easier/worthwhile?

Thanks for your time, ideas and inspiration over the years.
    Dave

2. Crooksey

Crooksey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cabling from below is often easier.

I would remove the plasterboard where your false wall will be, build your new frame and then re-fix plasterboard round the new frame.

Fix the TV bracket direct to the brickwork, or when you build your new frame add in supports for the TV to fix to out of CLS

3. Twp69

Twp69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you plan on removing the artex yourself make sure you wet it good or steam it off (by wetting, it will reduce fiber release) artex stands for asbestos reinforced texture if its pre 99 - 2000 then it's more than likely to contain asbestos.

4. parrish

parrish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your replies. I'm going to get the pros in to do the ceiling.

With regard to mounting the floating wall onto the plasterboard cavity wall, I've found a solution called Dryline Pro (DrylinePro - Plasterboard wall fixings for drylined walls). It's a plasterboard-masonry combination wall plug, similar to rigifix, which looks like it would do the job perfectly.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

5. ktmkid

ktmkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    come from above and replace the ceiling. this can be removed with the artex in one go. you can fix the cables and then the plasterer calls back to reboard and plaster the ceiling, most size front rooms can be done in two days.

6. ash_s3

ash_s3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    No it doesn't.

Artex ltd are still a big company in the UK building industry

7. MassiveJim

MassiveJim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Carefull with those fixings they are really designed for dot n dab walls.
    ie it will bridge a small cavity behind plasterboard and fix into a solid wall.
    My understanding of plasterboard/studded walls is that the plasterboard sits further away from the wall then it would with dot n dab.

I have used these fixings myself to mount the framework for my floating wall and I have to say they work but some didn't "take" and it left teh frame a little loose in places, overall as I used about 30ish of them to mount the frame it is fairly sturdy so the couple of loose ones don't matter too much :)