Floating wall..On the cheap!

breadmaker6

So... I thought I ought to start on my family room project, so in true AVF stylie I thought I would do a little running thread to update you all of my progress. This is todays results.

Funds are severely lacking at the moment so I thought I would see what I could manage on my limited budget...so, take:

1x MDF Board £14.00
1x LED Christmas Lights String £12.50
1x Pack of 18mm battons £8.00
1x Handy Dad £Priceless!

.... and this is what you get

My starting point. When I was building the extension I planned to move my current 42" Panny Plasma into the new 'family room/ kitchen' and buy a new TV for the main living room. Redundancy put pay to that so all I have to show so far is the wires and bracket.

So..we began by marking and cutting out the desired shape.

My youngest insisted on supervising...typical woman! But I made her clean up afterwards ;)

I hope I measured right! :rolleyes:

Woohoo!! It fits..:thumbsup:

My son Luke adds his two pence worth.

The lights go on...and not a z-list celeb to be seen. :cool:

Ikea Dioder Lights - the choice of most AVF lighting requirements, But at £39.99 a metre they can :censored: right off! B&Q Chrimbo LED lights 6 metres for £12.50 (minus 20% brother-in-law discount) :D

Lights out..and temporary 'small' LCD in place so I can at least use it! Can't wait to move the BIG tv into place in the new year.

I'm rubbish at taking pictures in the dark...but you get the idea!

Lights on. Oh....and before you ask the pig ugly carpet is only down to protect the floor whilst we worked. If I had scratched the wife's new floor with my Sunday building exploits she would have killed me :suicide:

So...just some primering and painting to do this week. Then when I get an amp I'll move my Kef eggs in place mounted on the wall (which has been made removable thanks to clever hanging brackets ;) )

Job done.

I'll post some more pics after it is painted...and update the thread with the speakers etc as I go. :hiya:

Ben-H

That looks quality mate, looking forward to seeing the finished article...:cool:

Also loved the way you used tins of food to rest the wood on whilst you cut out the space for the tv thats exactly what i would've done! :devil:

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Like it mate, looks the nuts.

Nice job.

Zorba_8

Quality floating wall on a very modest budget, good work!

But any updates Breadmaker? It's looking good so far but I want to see the 42" Panny up there! :D

jpmatrix

Standard Member
With a limited budget that setup looks excellent, very clean. As mentioned, any pics with the 42":D

Just one thing, I notice that alot of floating walls have a grey colour in paint. Is that for a reason?

James

jsimo01

Standard Member
What an excellent idea! We have just started redecorating the living room and have decided to move and upgrade the TV etc. I had been looking at some of the user galleries and found my own plans a little modest by comparison!

I want to hide the plasma screen as where it will be placed you would end up seeing down the back of it when you enter the room and it would look better flush.

Thanks and Congrats it looks really good. - J

breadmaker6

Sorry chaps no updates a of yet....The wife is keeping a close hold on those purse strings and sees a new Panny plasma as 'an extravagance' at the moment :rolleyes:

To answer the 'grey' question - Mine is too match the colour of my Kitchen cabinets. I'll take some pics tomorrow so you can see the rest of the layout. Maybe all of your interest will persuade the breadknife to release those strings a bit ;)

RipMaster

Novice Member
I mean this with respect, but that does not deserve to look so good for the expense incurred (TLC not withstanding). It looks great. Top job!

Until you get the new Panasonic, to finish it off have you considered filling in the excess space around the current telly. With your Handy Dad skills on tap I'd dare say a few quid of contrast coloured MDF would finish that off a treat.

Or is leaving it like that part of your ploy to accelerat SWMBO's buy in for the new TV? :D

BTW I like the "Heinz" DIY tools :rotfl:

Last edited:

breadmaker6

I mean this with respect, but that does not deserve to look so good for the expense incurred (TLC not withstanding). It looks great. Top job!

Until you get the new Panasonic, to finish it off have you considered filling in the excess space around the current telly. With your Handy Dad skills on tap I'd dare say a few quid of contrast coloured MDF would finish that off a treat.

Or is leaving it like that part of your ploy to accelerat SWMBO's buy in for the new TV? :D

BTW I like the "Heinz" DIY tools :rotfl:
Thanks...

Funny enough I was only discussing the 'temp' plan the other day with my able assistant. And we are about to construct a simple 'fill' to make it look better as the wife still isn't giving in :(

I wish I could find a simple 'fill' to make her look better :D:rolleyes:

channo51

Standard Member
breadmaker6: I have three Questions I'd like to ask you:

1) What is the Thickness of your MDF wood? Is it 6mm or 9mm?
2) What is the the name of that B&Q Lighting?
3) Is there intensity control on the those white lightings?

breadmaker6

breadmaker6: I have three Questions I'd like to ask you:

1) What is the Thickness of your MDF wood? Is it 6mm or 9mm?
2) What is the the name of that B&Q Lighting?
3) Is there intensity control on the those white lightings?
Hi..apologies for the delay in response.

The MDF is 9mm thick. I wanted it sturdy, as I wasn't sure whether the thinner would warp when I cut out the hole.

The B&Q lighting is/was a Christmas light set - 120Multifunction White LED light set ;)

No intensity control on the lights...but TBH it is perfect as it is. What I did do was tape it in position first just to check the depth in from the edge.

Oh...and one other thing...the wife has got a job, so the TV plans are back on :devil:

:hiya:

KMC

Banned
Was just having a cheeky browse, and OMG lol, looks amazing! Might try and do one myself.

Love it!!

Euromancer

Standard Member
Stupid question but non the less how does it attach to the wall? the battening is there as a stand off? And I cannot see any screw marks/holes on the front, it's not just no nails'ed on is it?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom