• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Floating Wall materials question...

Lowres

Novice Member
Hi all, I'm planning a floating wall a-la grooves etal and have a quick question.

I'm looking to cover the wall with fabric rather than having the pain of using filler and making it perfect etc.

Now, I'm planning to stick the fabric using copydex which is something I have done in the past and found to be pretty simple and very effective but I'm wondering which would be the better material to use for sticking the fabric on to...MDF or Plywood???

I have in the past stuck fabric to mdf and it's been fine (an amp rack in my car that has been fine for the last 4 years or so) but this being rather a larger installation I'm wondering if plywood might be better to prevent any problems with moisture etc etc that can cause the mdf to swell.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

deefadog

I am sure that the guyz here use the green mdf - it's sealed or something to prevent it sucking the moisture from paints and glues :thumbsup:

lockdown81

hi

you should be fine with just normal mdf mate to be honest , the glue id use is just the normal spray glue from screwfix or a carpet shop :smashin:

rharris

Standard Member
when i did my false wall i used normal mdf. i then painted it with mdf paint first as an undercoat for the regular paint. i believe this mdf paint acts like a sealer. it certainly stopped the mdf from sucking up the emulsion. should do the same for your glue

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom