Question Floating TV wall project

markusthorsen27

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Been stalking this website/forum for a while now, especially looking at all the DYI stuff with the floating tv walls etc. Some really sweet projects out here. So obviously I'm now super keen on making my own. Did some research and found a perfect video for my "situation" as a I live in a rented apartment. And can't/shouldn't make to many holes in the walls...

Check out the video here.

In this video the guy mounts the tv to the actual wall, and uses the fake wall as a cover basically. I wanna try and keep the amount of holes in the wall to a minimum, so I decided to draw up a "box" that could:

- stand on its own (probably with some help of sandbags for weight)
- carry the tv
- hide cables

I've attached 4 photos of my drawings. Made the box 2m high(so that I can build it in my spare bedroom and slide it under the doors into the living room), 2.4m wide(standard stud length) and 20cm deep(this works well with the wall mount in planning on bying) and it doesn't "steal" to much of the living room. I also reckon I could fit 2-3 sandbags at the bottom of this box as well, so make the box stand solid even with the tv attached. I might consider 2 hooks at the very top and have them go into the wall, just to be safe, and it wouldn't be hard filling in the holes when we move out. (and hopefully I can bring this tv wall with me).

My plan is to cover the front and the sides with plasterboard and keep the backside open, so air flows freely.

These are the best prices I've found, from Wickes:

- Studs: 14 x £3.99 = £55.86
- Plasterboard: 3 x £.629 = £18.86

I asked them if they were able to cut some of the studs for me, but apparently they don't do that stuff. Is that a normal thing for these places not do to do? Is there a place that would do that for me?
The reason I want it cut, is as mentioned above, Im gonna build this in my spare bedroom, so I imagine it getting really dusty. So if I can avoid that, I would rather pay extra for a shop to cut them for me.

In terms of the studs, if you can predict any problems at all, please give me a shout. I basically have no idea on what Im doing, I just imagine this working out pretty well.

Bottom line is, do you guys have any advice before I embark on this project? Anything I should reconsider, plan differently or change?

Sorry for a long and possibly confusing post, but I hope you get the main idea. I basically need all the help I can get.

Attachments

• Front_view-01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 214
  • Back_view-01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
  • Side_view-01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
  • From_above-01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
Plasterboard and studs will not be strong enough for a free-standing unit. The unit could collapse and ruin your TV. You would be better following the advice in the video and use Plywood as well. Some timber merchants will cut to size for you. Just make a few phone calls to find one.

I think your plan sounds okay.
You will need to attach it to the wall, otherwise you run the risk of it tipping forward. For the sake of some holes, I would use the rear studs to attach (find the studs in the actual wall).
CLS timber and plasterboard is plenty strong enough.
You might want to rethink building a 2.4m long and 2m high box and then trying to carry it through rooms... It will be heavy and cumbersome.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom