Floating lounge wall mount using IKEA Besta

rwttm001

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not much of a project compared to some on here I know but thought I'd post in case anyone has a similar room and thought process to us. We moved last year and since then I've been itching to do something with the lounge, a decent size but with a truly bog standard corner TV unit setup. Here's what we had:

10' distance, 55" or 60"? Extra size worth cost?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 3,595
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 3,458
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 3,888
Last edited:
We did a little research and bought and returned a number of floating units before settling on IKEA Besta in black/brown. There are 2 depths available and we went for the shallower (20cm) units so as not to intrude into the room.

I had an electrician round to give us an extra socket for the TV and one were the floating units would be, I also moved various feeds so they'd be housed too. Plenty of filling and sanding involved so not much fun!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 15,742
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 4,817
So this morning I've installed the units, it's a little fiddly as they come in 60cm units and we're going for 5 so have 4 joins to keep neat and tidy. The carcasses are cheap as chips at £13 so I had no issue in chopping them up inside for utilities and cabling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 12,362
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    858.6 KB · Views: 4,369
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 5,856
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883.4 KB · Views: 5,650
I've quickly hung the doors after football tonight, a couple are sagging a little so tomorrow I'll line them up properly, maybe I'll need some coupling type fixings.

The doors have a gloss bamboo style finish and again for £20 a door you can't really go wrong, especially as you can always interchange them later if you fancy a change.

We have to replace the carpet and we think we're going for a subtle wallpaper on the TV wall too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 4,479
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 3,869
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 4,089
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 3,819
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 5,142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 3,878
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 4,006
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 3,745
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,431
Looks good! Want to do something similar in my room.

Very nice. Makes a big difference to the room.

I assume you use the sky+ app on your phone rather than the remote then, or can you get an IR signal to the box via some other means?

Thats a gorgeous clean finish! Will have to look at those cupboards i really like that look but would need a much deeper version for the amp, sky, ps4, mac mini, dac, apple tv and so fourth!!! Please advise about the hanging brackets, where they from as we have plsrerboard walls and i dont/ wouldnt trust the standard 4 fixing holes on the 3 wide unit!

Last edited:
Thanks very much. The rails are from IKEA too, £5 each so £25 in total, just needed some brown plugs and long screws to get a really solid fix, then the Besta are hung over the top and screwed into the rails.

Yes the shallow units are not for everyone but luckily I can get away with it for now!

Well nice! My living room is similar to yours, was thinking of the same thing but the missus wants a fireplace :facepalm:

Well we wont have the money for a fireplace and a fire for a while so I hope she forgets :D

ImageUploadedByAVForums1444390255.296268.jpg

Hi there

Great job. Have you thought about putting the glass tops on. Comes in white or black. You can get a 1200 length and an 1800 length. Covers the cabinet joints.

[emoji106]

@rwttm001 can I ask the dimensions of your room? Appreciate this isn't a new thread, but the layout (bay included) looks a lot like mine, which is 5300mm long by 3700mm wide. (It's a David Wilson Holden - yours is really similar!)

I'm toying with a Besta combination build, but with two sofas in the room, I'm concerned about cramping if I use 400mm dept units and go 3000mm width on the units.

Cheers in advance - would be good to see what your room is like with both sofas in mind :)

No problem, they are virtually identical dimensions, long and relatively narrow which is why we went for the shallower Besta units. It makes housing your kit more restrictive and complex but this isn't a lounge cinema so we only have a Sky box and Wii U in there.:)

Still very bare at the minute too.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,167
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,053
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,742
  • IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,547
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,550
Perfect!

We're going for a 5-seater L sofa from near the door into the bay, a 2 seater on the wall opposite the bay and 3m of 60cm tall Besta along the wall opposite the door (same as yours), with 3m of 38cm cabinets above.

Your room is so similar, it is uncanny! Apart from the small side window, it really is the same. It's great to get an idea of what it will look like potentially, though I concede ours will be a bit more "full" - we need the storage due to a 7m old boy rapidly moving around and having a lot of "stuff".

Thank you for taking the time to show me how it all looks - very grateful indeed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom